Strep Throat

Closed Thread

Strep Throat

Hi everyone,

I feel the onset of Strep Throat and, before I pay a visit to my doctor, I would like to know if there are any OTC drugs that I can take to make the strep go away in its early stages.

I did gargle this morning with a warm saline solution and now it is not as uneasy, but I really want to nip this one in the bud if that is possible.

Thanks,

Shakermaker

If it really is strep then you need antibiotics - which seem to be available OTC in Fanda (and other places). Erythromycin or something perhaps? See this list of antibiotics which treat different bacteria:

List of antibiotics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Duplicate post

Thanks MovingIn,

Will stop at a nearby pharmacy during lunch and see if they have Erythromycin or Amoxil.

I am reasonably certain that it is strep throat as I seem to get this once every year and the experience is unpleasant to say the least. If I let it go untreated for the next day or two, I can expect to be out of action for at least a week.

Thanks again.

If you had it before - did you keep the antibiotic? Or the box? or can you google it? It might just help to take something along that helps them know what you want as then they can suggest an alternative if they don't have exactlyt the right thing in stock! Unless you can speak Canto of course (I was assuming not, but obviously that could be wrong!)

Unfortunately, my knowledge of Cantonese is rather inadequate to be engaging in conversations surrounding penicillins. I used to keep the medicine bottles/bags to refer to when I come down with something but, stupidly enough, never wrote down what they were for!!

F.A.O. MovingIn07:

Have you had any experience with locally-manufactured, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory herbal capsules?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker:
    F.A.O. MovingIn07:

Have you had any experience with locally-manufactured, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory herbal capsules?
    Nope. Sorry. But ye olde remedies like using honey have validity because raw honey has antibacterial properties, so I see no reason why they would not work.

So they didn't have any allopathic antibiotics and offered me this one instead, which is is supposed to be effective against tonsillitis and coughing amongst a host other ailments (gum infection, bronchitis, laryngopharyngitis, etc.).

Okay, I just popped two capsules and will take another two at 1800 hrs! Hope this works!!

I hope so. Keep well.