Good English-speaking GP in Central

Closed Thread

Good English-speaking GP in Central

I'm down with some bad food poisoning. Can anyone recommend a good GP in Central/Sheung Wan, preferably walk-in? Price is not a concern.

DRS OWENS, TRODD & PARTNERS (OTP)

Central 2521 3181
    5/F Century Square
    1 D’Aguilar Street, Central
    Hong Kong

Fantastic doctors, never had a problem with them here, very thorough and helpful. Not sure about 'walk-in' tho..

Hope this helps! Get well soon

I tend to prefer the out patient department at the cannossa hospital in mid levels. $180 + meds and they usually have very decent doctors on duty. Typical wait is 20-30 mins and they're open 24/7. (Cost goes up after 9PM and on Sundays...)

Added benefit... god forbid its serious, you have all the diagnostics you'd need in the same building.

Dr Olivia Choi at Quality Healthcare, 1/F, 303 Des Voeux Rd Central, Sheung Wan. Tel - 29752328.

Speaks excellent English and you can just drop in to register and wait. Cost for an appointment plus a massive bag of meds for a chest infection was less than $200.

Wow, that was way cheaper. I had no luck with a walk-in at Owens, so I tried Quality Healthcare. Ended up in the Prince's Building branch since there were no openings at the Sheung Wan end. Cost me $740 with meds... Would have been a way bigger deal if I wasn't covered by insurance!

Dr Olivia Choi

I would just like to endorse Dr Choi.

I have attended Dr Choi as my local GP in Hong Kong and find her very helpful and very good English

Re Dr Olivia Choi, do you need to pre-register with a GP (like in the UK), or can you just turn up and then do it?

Whilst we are on the topic, im coming over to HK soon and was just wondering what is the situation with GPs in hong kong? all i know is you need to pay, but does anyone register themselves with the same GP or do you just go to whichever one you like as a drop in session? In the UK i have been registered with the same clinic and im just concerned about the transfer of medical history notes...or do they not do that in HK?

Can vouch for Dr Lily Wong at Owens and Trodds- very nice lady doc from UK, all our family sees her, but need to make an appointment first

Quote Originally Posted by LC340:
    Whilst we are on the topic, im coming over to HK soon and was just wondering what is the situation with GPs in hong kong? all i know is you need to pay, but does anyone register themselves with the same GP or do you just go to whichever one you like as a drop in session? In the UK i have been registered with the same clinic and im just concerned about the transfer of medical history notes...or do they not do that in HK?
    It's entirely up to you. You can stick with one or go to different doctors as per your preference. There doesn't seem to be much of a system of transfer of medical notes as far as I have noticed, most doctors seem to keep their own. I'm not sure though as I've never really enquired about it.

You only need to pay a minimal fee if you use a public clinic but of course you can go to a private doctor if you prefer. The doctors in public clinics are generally better and they don't give you so many unnecessary drugs but I usually go to a private clinic to save queuing for a couple of hours at a public clinic. The cost is not much higher (as long as you avoid Central).