Medical Insurance Needed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

ihi Bupa allows the commencement date after the trip has started. It delays the commencement date of the insurance for three days in these cases I believe. There are probably others too.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 28-01-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Oh, OK - fair enough. I obviously have never had the need to look hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't know about you but I would classify being bankrupted and I assume kicked out of HK with serious problems getting back in as "trouble". Yes they will treat first then ask for the money later that day but you are expected to pay immediately - HK$33,000 minimum as a deposit regardless of how many days you are likely to be in hospital (well that was the situation 2 years ago).
    Yes, but there's always a caveat to everything

If you are critically ill due to a serious medical condition/accident and you have no property or assets then I don't think going bankrupt is going to be a major concern. Too many people in the US are bankrupted due to medical bills. Sure, if you own your own home (and it has equity) then it will go in a bankruptcy but if you live in rented accommodation and have insufficent assets (or no assets) I cannot see it is going to be too much of an inconvenience against getting the urgent medical treatment you require.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    Yes, but there's always a caveat to everything

If you are critically ill due to a serious medical condition/accident and you have no property or assets then I don't think going bankrupt is going to be a major concern. Too many people in the US are bankrupted due to medical bills. Sure, if you own your own home (and it has equity) then it will go in a bankruptcy but if you live in rented accommodation and have insufficent assets (or no assets) I cannot see it is going to be too much of an inconvenience against getting the urgent medical treatment you require.
    yes but just getting insurance would be simpler than this no?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    yes but just getting insurance would be simpler than this no?
    Indeed - assuming you can afford the monthly premiums (approx. 45 million Americans cannot) and have no uninsurable pre-existing medical conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    ihi Bupa allows the commencement date after the trip has started. It delays the commencement date of the insurance for three days in these cases I believe. There are probably others too.
    Checked Bupa and it says:
    Start date - The date you require your policy to start. Please note that all trips must begin on or after this date from your country of residence.

Do you know any insurance provider who let's you get a travel insurance while you are already travelling?

That would be the answer..

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Not Bupa; ihi Bupa (it used to be just ihi):

If the insurance is taken out after the insured has left the country of permanent residence, there is a waiting period of three days before the insurance takes effect.
    https://www.ihi.com/DocumentStore/Co...0/Brochure.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gerlib:
    Checked Bupa and it says:
    Start date - The date you require your policy to start. Please note that all trips must begin on or after this date from your country of residence.

Do you know any insurance provider who let's you get a travel insurance while you are already travelling?

That would be the answer..

Sorry, ihi Bupa (not Bupa) allows you to buy a travel insurance while already traveling

ihi-Bupa, Allianz, AXA PPP offer ex-pat type insurance (these operations are normally outside of HK). Strictly speaking you are a visitor here and not a resident, but it may be worth calling them. These policies are expensive but very comprehensive compared to local policies.

Quote Originally Posted by bmiami69:
    i moved to Hong Kong from USA over a year ago and i purchased an international health insurance plan from Pacific prime and it has worked very well for me. As i mentioned to another user, i have used the medical plan and the dental plan with no troubles.
    Cool. Did you ever hear about this thing called free healthcare in hk. It's neat, you should check it out.
    Posted via Mobile Device