Good optician in Central/Causeway Bay area?

Closed Thread

Good optician in Central/Causeway Bay area?

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a good optician for eye tests/glasses for myself and my son in either Central or Causeway Bay?
    Thanks.

I've been very happy with Lenscrafters (The Optical Shop as they were previously) for the last 10+ years. Not the cheapest, but they have always given me all the tests and checks that I felt appropriate within the price of the lenses that I buy from them. They have branches all over the place. These days I tend to go to the Pacific Place one most often, but they are all on one computer so you can go into any branch and they can access your records and work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I've been very happy with Lenscrafters (The Optical Shop as they were previously) for the last 10+ years. Not the cheapest, but they have always given me all the tests and checks that I felt appropriate within the price of the lenses that I buy from them. They have branches all over the place. These days I tend to go to the Pacific Place one most often, but they are all on one computer so you can go into any branch and they can access your records and work from there.
    I've been using Lenscrafters (previously The Optical Shop) for even longer and can highly recommend their shop in Prince's Building. Very professional long-serving staff who know their stuff.

Beware in Hong Kong, it's all too common for an optical shop assistant to don a white coat and become an instant expert - not all but there are a lot like that.

i have used lenscrafters, optician 88 and new one optical store ( in NT), but others are in cwb and cen.

lenscrafters and optician 88 pretty offer the similar service, but optician 88 is cheaper, but lenscrafter have better range of designer frames, however, i felt that no optician in HK offers real quality eye test like in UK's boots!!.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    i have used lenscrafters, optician 88 and new one optical store ( in NT), but others are in cwb and cen.

lenscrafters and optician 88 pretty offer the similar service, but optician 88 is cheaper, but lenscrafter have better range of designer frames, however, i felt that no optician in HK offers real quality eye test like in UK's boots!!.
    Do you mean Optical88?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    however, i felt that no optician in HK offers real quality eye test like in UK's boots!!.
    Lenscrafters gives me pretty much identical eye tests to any that I ever had in the UK.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

PDLM, what do they use for the tonometry test?

Don't know - it's not a test I have ever had (either here or in the UK).

Although on reading up about it I guess it's about time that I did. I'll ask about that next time I'm there (although that will be 6 months or so from now).

Edit, regrettably, the relevant bit of their website is only in Chinese. I can see that they do the test, and I can see a picture of the machine:

As to what type of machine that is, anyone know?

Last edited by PDLM; 23-02-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks for that guys. Looks like Lenscrafters come highly recommended. I'll book up today!