Like Tree2Likes

Prickly heat rash (I think) - help!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

You can put some 'white flower oil' on it, it's a minty/menthol oil which will help sooth the itch and kill bacteria. They sell at most 7/11's or pharmacies.

UDPATE on the experiment

My rash is slowly fading and slowing feeling less itchy - but, even today which is 5 days later, it is still quite obvious and itchy.

The three patches that I have been applying with a) Mopiko, b) 1% hydrocortisone cream and c) nothing, all look EXACTLY THE SAME. So I don't think I gained anything from the creams!

Although the Mopiko felt cool on the skin and smelled nice, but otherwise nothing was different between the patches!

I had this on my chest and I used Mopiko which made it go away, it also is soo cooling to the skin that it is tempting to just smear it all over myself just to cool down in the heat

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Moving, it can take 2-3 weeks for it to go. If it's really, really bad, then you need oral steriods, but it doesn't sound like they are needed. Have you tried the occasional coolpack?

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    I had this on my chest and I used Mopiko which made it go away, it also is soo cooling to the skin that it is tempting to just smear it all over myself just to cool down in the heat
    I think that is the placebo effect. As noted above.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Moving, it can take 2-3 weeks for it to go. If it's really, really bad, then you need oral steriods, but it doesn't sound like they are needed. Have you tried the occasional coolpack?
    I did try some ice at one point yes. Mostly I find sitting underneath our frigid airconditioner quite cold enough!

Does it recur, do you know, once you get it once?

I find it really odd, you see, because this is my third summer here, and I have hiked in the heat, in exactly the same pair of trousers, for the past 2 years without incident. Really odd to SUDDENLY come down with it. I think the triffid upset my sweat glands actually.

i used this in the states when i had a weird rash on my neck- went away after three days...- it felt like i had razors/needles in my neck- nothing worked till i used this.

Cortizone-10 Cooling Relief Gel 1oz

active ingredient is hydrocortisone- so i guess it's the same as what you already have.

Does it recur, do you know, once you get it once?
    If it's plant dermatitis, it's self-limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    If it's plant dermatitis, it's self-limiting.
    I don't think it is - the plant attacked my arm and the rash is on my leg. But they appeared at about the same time, so I think the plant caused me to sweat excessively (I was dripping, much worse than normal, trousers were literally as wet as though they had been in a shower) and that caused the prickly heat. I think. That's my best guess anyway.

If it is prickly heat, then you can get recurrances, although you can be acclimatised. I had it in the first years here but nothing in the past twenty or so.

You can try to prevent it by wearing soft, lightweight loose cotton clothing, and keeping to shaded (umbrella anyone?), well-ventilated places. Which is not always possible.

BTW, I would stay away from the creams, etc. (calamine is okay though) which can further block your pores.