Like Tree1Likes

iPad app developer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iPad app developer?

i have what I consider a solid app idea for the ipad. However i do not know coding and do not have the time to learn. Therefore I'm looking for either:

a person to help design and code the product.

OR

a company that is willing to do this for me.

I saw a few things like this online, but how do i know its not a scam, or the person/company wont steal the idea for themselves? Anyway to safeguard myself?

You could try to develop as much as you can in a website HTML interface, just to get the general idea of how it will work and so you can show someone your basic ideas.

You can also look at hiring a person to do it with a site like odesk or elance.com. Read the reviews of the developers and decide for yourself if that is someone you want to work on your project.

The local magazines recently showed off the local iPhone developer talent, I would try one of those agencies. For example goFerry by SINO Dynamic Solutions,

Review: goFerry on iPhone

But before you get excited with your MBA project remember that ideas are pretty worthless to the execution. I'm sure there was a better article on the topic recently,

ideas are just a multiplier of execution - O'Reilly ONLamp Blog

(edit) That looks like the original from 2005, but this one is also appropriate for MBAs,

8 Websites You Need to Stop Building - The Oatmeal

I like the cartoon on this one too,

30 days of ideas – 30: House of Spare Ideas by Andrew Dubber

Last edited by MrMoo; 08-06-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    geo-seb likes this.

BenderBends

You can request the company to sign an NDA with you which prevents them from discussing the idea with anyone else or developing it themselves.

But as MrMoo already said, everybody has an idea. Professional designers and developers have piles of ideas in their drawers. Execution is the difficult part, and thus I wouldn't be too worried that someone is going to steal yours.

If you're really serious about this and can afford the development, or if the idea is big enough to base a company around, drop me a PM. The company I work for might be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    The local magazines recently showed off the local iPhone developer talent, I would try one of those agencies. For example goFerry by SINO Dynamic Solutions,

Review: goFerry on iPhone

But before you get excited with your MBA project remember that ideas are pretty worthless to the execution. I'm sure there was a better article on the topic recently,

ideas are just a multiplier of execution - O'Reilly ONLamp Blog

(edit) That looks like the original from 2005, but this one is also appropriate for MBAs,

8 Websites You Need to Stop Building - The Oatmeal

I like the cartoon on this one too,

30 days of ideas 30: House of Spare Ideas by Andrew Dubber
    oatmeal rules....thanks mooo

I asked about an app for the iphone about 6 weeks ago to an agency and they gave me a rough figure of $80k HKD for a relatively simple one. Not sure about the iPad but i would say the concept shouldn't be much different.

Anyway I'm no expert.

Been doing mobile apps for about 10yrs now and iPhone/iPad starting this yr.

I'd like to try help .. what are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bburgess66
    Been doing mobile apps for about 10yrs now and iPhone/iPad starting this yr.

I'd like to try help .. what are your thoughts?
    One might think experience in mobiles apps is probably more of a hindrance than a benefit considering it is all about UX these days and Windows mobile, Palm, etc, i.e. mobile devices of old are utterly terrible at every aspect of user interaction.

I think the iPad / iPhone Hong Kong group is having a meetup next week or the week thereafter (I think August 5). You might want to join in and meet some folks in the industry.

iPhanatics Hong Kong | Facebook
    iPhanatics - Hong Kong iPhone fans come together, right now, on the beat!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    One might think experience in mobiles apps is probably more of a hindrance than a benefit considering it is all about UX these days and Windows mobile, Palm, etc, i.e. mobile devices of old are utterly terrible at every aspect of user interaction.
    Only true hindrance I ever experience is with attitude .. in myself or others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast