Which stored-value SIM card?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which stored-value SIM card?

We're a couple going to HK on an extended vacation this summer and we want to bring our (GSM triple band) phones with us so we can keep in touch.
    Roaming will be a complete waste of money, so Hong Kong stored-value SIM cards which we could "recharge" as we go along would probably be a much better solution.
    This is what we're looking for:

1) It has to have good coverage all over HK
    2) We can send/receive SMS messages as well as call
    3) (Preferrably, but not essential) we can receive/send SMS messages from abroad, to keep in touch with people back home
    4) Value for money

So which operator are we looking at, what's the cost, and where do we buy "starter packs" for this?
    (I assume "recharging" them can be done many places?)

Wellcome to Hong Kong:
    All operator here pratice nearly the same rate.
    Main Operator are Sunday (Now PCCW), 3G (Ex Orange), Smartone, CSL...

http://www.sunday.com/portal/common/...sp?fldr_id=589
    http://www.smartone-vodafone.com/jsp/english/index.jsp
    http://www.three.com.hk/

And you find same every where: Hong Kong is really dense, easy to find in Causewaybay, TST.

Point to check when Buying the Card: Price, Number of Minutes (to same operator & Dif operator), Number SMS you can send.
    For Some operator sending SMS to the Same opertator is free or cheaper.

Last edited by faguo; 11-05-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Red face

Do you know if it's possible to move from pre paid to a post paid plan?

Yes it is - there is full number portability here, so you could even move from a prepaid plan to a postpaid plan on another operator. My number started with CSL when I first came here, spent a couple of years as a Orange/3 number and is now back again with CSL...

Red face

Thanks PDLM,

Will prob get a prepaid sim card when i visit HK this june. Will be starting work in HK only in Aug and that's when I'll be decide if i should go on postpaid.

Peoples IDD Talk Stored Value SIM Card
    $0.25/min /Starter Kit At any 7 eleven Circle K
    http://www.peoples.com.hk/p_prepaid_...efault_iso.jsp

Peoples IDD Talk

How's the network and reception for the Peoples IDD Talk? I read somewhere that the reception is not good at certain area?

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by dong:
    How's the network and reception for the Peoples IDD Talk? I read somewhere that the reception is not good at certain area?
    I've never experienced a problem. It's a great SIM card, a bit expensive for local calls, but if you're visiting, you will probably make more IDD calls than local anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    I've never experienced a problem. It's a great SIM card, a bit expensive for local calls, but if you're visiting, you will probably make more IDD calls than local anyway.
    No, probably the other way round. Since we're two people traveling, and we might do some independant stuff while in HK we'll stay in touch by calling each other.
    For calling abroad I assume buying phone cards and using them in payphones might be the best solution?

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Anyway, I don't intend to use it for local calls, just strictly for IDD calls back home since it is free and I only need to pay airtime charge of HK$0.25/min. I will probably sign up with CSL 1010 plan for local calls and overseas roaming.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast