Like Tree2Likes

World Cup Soccer in 4x3

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Opening game, SA vs. Mexico is on HD aTV right now.

It was on the HD channel, but it wasnt in HD. It was 16:9 aspect which was better than 4:3 and no black bars, but definitely not HD quality.

So they worked a deal to deliver anamorphic 4x3 SD...whoopeee

Honestly you'd think after all the money that was spent buying the rights to the World Cup they would want to deliver it in HD 1920x1080i.

I just saw on TV that they are even broadcasting some matches in 3D!

Hong Kong is really far behind. What a bunch of greedy technophobes running Cable TV.

I believe 720p is the preferred format for sports as the interlacing at 1080i isn't very good. Support for 1080p is still absent.

It wasn't in 720p HD either, it was a 720x576 SD anamorphic picture ie crap!

I think what they broadcast was a crappy 4:3 picture that was letterboxed (ie it had black bars on the top and bottom). So on a 16:9 screen it had black bars around all 4 sides. So ATV just zoomed in to fill the screen and tried to trick everyone into thinking they had a HD picture. Sadly, I think a lot of people were tricked and dont know any better. People spend thousands on new TV's and then have to put up with crap like this from the media companies.

i blame gov't. you'd assume that the gov't would want to help subsidize these companies efforts in getting rights to air the games.

You would? I don't see why my taxes should go towards subsidising people watching a bunches of guys running around chasing a ball.

climber07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You would? I don't see why my taxes should go towards subsidising people watching a bunches of guys running around chasing a ball.
    yes. i would. i would equate the viewership to be on par to the superbowl. if the superbowl can attract 1MM usd advertising for 30min spots, i'd imagine that the world cup could pull in something similar. and no where did i say foot the entire cost.

now. being that i don't have any facts about the costs and i doubt you do either, it's moot to discuss this point isn't it, mr resident "i need a life"

If it can attract millions of dollars in advertising revenue why on earth would it need to be subsidised by taxpayers?

Freetrader likes this.