Internet cafe (for burning DVDs from camera)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Internet cafe (for burning DVDs from camera)

While travelling to HK I plan to take a lot of interesting photos with a digital camera, which means they'll pile up and I need some place to dump them.
    DVDs would be ideal (as a 4 GB memory-card would be handy for the camera, and dumping all of the photos would fit nicely on a 4.7GB DVD), but where can I get this done, and even more important: where can I be sure that it's done properly? ...so I don't think it's all on the DVD, while in reality only some or none of the photos have been transferred.

So I got the idea that perhaps some Internet cafes will let you plug a camera (USB) into their PCs, transfer them over to the hard-disk, then burn as many copies as you like to DVD.
    Are there any Internet cafes around that will let you do that? Preferrably in the Tsim Sha Tsui area (we plan to stay somewhere in Mirador mansion), but other places are OK as well if you know of a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman:
    While travelling to HK I plan to take a lot of interesting photos with a digital camera, which means they'll pile up and I need some place to dump them.
    DVDs would be ideal (as a 4 GB memory-card would be handy for the camera, and dumping all of the photos would fit nicely on a 4.7GB DVD), but where can I get this done, and even more important: where can I be sure that it's done properly? ...so I don't think it's all on the DVD, while in reality only some or none of the photos have been transferred.

So I got the idea that perhaps some Internet cafes will let you plug a camera (USB) into their PCs, transfer them over to the hard-disk, then burn as many copies as you like to DVD.
    Are there any Internet cafes around that will let you do that? Preferrably in the Tsim Sha Tsui area (we plan to stay somewhere in Mirador mansion), but other places are OK as well if you know of a better place.
    I am not sure if you could get any accesss to DVD burner at internet cafe, but i would recommend you to contact the photo-finishing shop and ask them to make a copy for you.

I am fairly certain Fotomax will do that for you.

Yeah, I guess more and more people are using DVDs these days for digital photos.
    Does Fotomax have some sort of routines for checking that all the photos have actually been transferred or not?
    How much does something like that cost to get done?

I just found Fotomax's website and they do indeed transfer photos from digital cameras to CD, but there's no mention of DVDs, and the files have to be JPG and less than 4 Mbytes each, so I guess that excludes me since I intend to use RAW now and then which also makes my images pretty much bigger than 4 Mbytes.

That's why I was hoping for an Internet cafe (or some other place where I could access a computer) and just dump the entire content of the camera's memory card (regardless of file-types and sizes, unlike Fotomax) and burn it all to DVD (CDs will be a hassle because with a 4 Gbyte memory card I need to split up and organize everything).

There must be something like that available in a city like HK, but where, and at what cost?

One option I guess is to try one of the computer centres in Wanchai.

There are some shops there that do hard drive back ups onto DVD so theres no reason why they can't transfer your pics onto a hd and burn it onto DVD for you. I have no idea of cost though but wouldn't be that steep.

since i am working in wanchai, i am gonna muck around while i am doing nothing and see if i could figure out which shop will do it and its cost.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymakss:
    since i am working in wanchai, i am gonna muck around while i am doing nothing and see if i could figure out which shop will do it and its cost.
    Thanks.
    Did you find anything out?

Shadowman cyber cafe (Lock Rd, TST)

Did anyone find out if there are places where you can burn your own DVDs?

There's an internet cafe in Tsim Sha Tsui called Shadowman cyber cafe in 7 Lock road. Unfortunately its website is "under construction" so there's not much info to find, but does anyone know if their computers have DVD (or at least CD) burners?

HK Island: Where to copy (e.g. burn) DVDs with digital photos?

Hi, can anyone recommend places in HK island that copy DVDs (not CDs)? I need to make six copies of a 4.5GB DVD, which contains lots and lots of digital pictures. Found lots of places to burn CDs (680MB) but have so far been unsuccessful when it comes to DVDs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast