Used digital SLR camera's in hong kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Used digital SLR camera's in hong kong

I usually get my used film slr gear at Champagne court in TST but the stores I usually buy from don't stock too many digital slr cams. Any other places that might sell used digital slr camera's?

I have noticed some smaller shops in malls like 298, Wanchai computer centre and Sin Tat which sell used DSLR's and grey market stuff, i'd like to know if anyone has experience in dealing with these smaller shops. I had a quick look at one called DX zone they said they their used camera's were hk models (the guy showed me the box and warranty slip) and seemed quite reasonably priced but i'm not quite sure about buying from them as these shops have always seemed quite dodgy to me for some reason.

theres a small store in the market at sham shui po that sells some used dslr camera's, walked past it the other day. I think it's just on the corner of apliu st.?

There are a couple of floors in Mongkok Computer Centre, and even more at top of nearby Shantung St arcade (I think). I would expect service N quality varies from shop to shop, although I've never had any problem buying equipment from them.

For used equipment check out :

Sim City Mall, 47-51 Shan Tung Street , MongKok

Sim City has a few levels and quite a few shops selling used dslrs.

Last edited by WalkAbout; 06-10-2010 at 09:34 AM.

what do you expect. you'll always gonna be doubting when buying used stuff and you should be prepared with the risk. it's human nature. do you expect the camera to have a full warranty? or if there's a 7-14 days grace period? you basically get what they have on display and there's always gonna be minor fault which you are allowed to ask. so the question about dodginess is irrelevant.

I bought a few used lens in Sim City Mong Kok and I do understand the risk. One lens was giving me an error when closing the aperture but i'm fine with it since i can compensate it with appropriate settings.

Thinking about it..

Actually thinking about it again, that's quite an interesting observation; that these 2nd hand shops are usually of the dodgy types, rather like the mobile phone shops in Sin Tat. The people who work there and the whole setup is not what you call polished. I think probably got that way about 10-20 years ago when used items were probably dodgy (sourced). I don't think it's like that nowadays, but the breed of retailers have not changed.

I bought mine 2nd hand on Mong Kok, Sim City and was provided with 2 years guarantee, cleaning, and loads of free stuff. It's even got warranty from Canon for 2 years! So far I don't have problems with the camera. Definitely ask around shops and let them know what you think, and of course it goes without saying to try and get freebies when you're buying.

Quote Originally Posted by revanche:
    I bought mine 2nd hand on Mong Kok, Sim City and was provided with 2 years guarantee, cleaning, and loads of free stuff. It's even got warranty from Canon for 2 years! So far I don't have problems with the camera.
    That is good, but I am guessing here that all of the above came at a bit of a premium.

is it safe to buy second hand Digital SLR for tourist ? I mean like the warranty and all.

Quote Originally Posted by zyclonenuz:
    is it safe to buy second hand Digital SLR for tourist ? I mean like the warranty and all.
    You generally do not get warranties for secondhand camera gear, regardless of whether you are a tourist or not. If you buy secondhand, you should do so with the understanding that if the camera breaks, it's up to you to get it fixed for a fee.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast