Good PC shop in Wanchai - to buy a PC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good PC shop in Wanchai - to buy a PC

Hello listfolk

I am looking to move from my laptop to a desktop and would like a recommendation of a good shop in Wanchai to buy a PC.

I was planning on going down the Dell route but had a look at a couple of shops in the Wanchai Computer Centre and found like for like the prices quite a bit better.

I spoke to a guy at the ICE Computer Company who was very helpful and made all the right noises. My concern is - should anything go wrong, what are these guys like at sorting issues out - such as a motherboard that blows after 3 weeks etc.

Any experiences / recommendations much appreciated!

Thanks

If you are talking about self-assembly then you only have the warranties of the individual parts to fall on. If you get it assembled then most shops will offer a warranty but you need to check out what they cover and whether you need to bring the pc to them or they will come to you. So you weren't moved my the Dell sales staff at the WCC?

Hi Discobay

I didn't really speak to the Dell guys - I just had a look at a system on offer and took a brochure. They had a system 'reduced' to $8999. I priced up what to me seemed like a better system from ICE Computer Company for $7,700. The Dell does come with a 3 year on site warranty (although living on Lantau I am sure there will be no onsite visits!). Also Dell came with a valid XP home license so maybe the prices are similar. I have about 5 valid XP licenses knocking around so I don't need another but Dell won't discount if you don't want the O/S.

I am not doing self assembly. I got out of that game more than 10 years ago when I found it was just more hassle (in my view) than it was worth.

Have you got a supplier you would recommend? The ICE preassembled PC came in a really cheesy looking case. I suppose I would have to buy a case from elsewhere and give it to them. That said I haven't seen too many decent looking cases for sale!

Hi HKNB,
    To be honest I haven't had one built for me by the high street shops for some time. Like you I've self-assembled (for the last few years). I did the Dell vs high street comparison last year and came to the same conclusion but then factoring the license and warranty costs, peace of mind knowing that you haven't been ripped off and though I hate to say it owning a system that is pleasing to look at installed in your living room I went Dell.
    When I was assembling I was impressed by Centralfield in Golden Arcade Shopping Centre, Sham Shui Po and Able Computers too. Without a solid recommendation to give you I can only suggest that you go with what you feel is right for you. Which shop is ICE?

Which one is ice? Good question, how does one describe the maze that is Wanchai C C.

It was on the first floor, walk half way down the corridor on the right hand side, take a left. It is on a corner on the left hand side. One of those shops that is just a corridor - ie you can't walk into it.

The guy was very friendly and helpful. I have been shopping in those places since I was a kid (used to get my Apple II games in the Golden Arcade) and have really never had a bad experience. But always good to ask around.

I usually recommend Dell to people who are PC buying novices for the reasons you list. But the Dell box had a crappy graphics card, the ICE box contained a ATi Radeon X1600 256MB Pro - which I am told is better.

In fact, I know nothing about graphics cards - anyone know if the ATi Radeon X1600 256MB Pro is a good card? I don't need bleeding edge technology but do want something half decent.

Thanks!

That is more than half decent.

Thanks for the advice Discobay.

A-Lab Technology at Shop 143A/145, 298 Computer Zone,
    298 Hennessy Road, WanChai, Hong Kong

www.a-lab.com

Ask for a guy called John, he speaks good English. Purchased several computers from him and never had any problems. I highly recommend this place.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

HKNewBi,

I can also recommend ICE in Wanchai. I have used them before many times and the person there, Stefan, is a very knowledgeable person with lots of experience. I have bought more than a few PCs from him and many of my friends and all of us have never had any major problems so far. They also have competitive prices for their PCs and can get you special items that they do not have in stock (depending on whether you know them very well or not)

Good luck with your purchase.

Best regards,
    Manoj

'special items that they do not have in stock'

Max I am intrigued! Spill the beans...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast