HDTV Cable in HK?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by William06
    I'm sure members who have already subscribed to the footie in the last 6 months, WILL enjoy HDTV images.
    I'll be most unhappy if i have to pay yet another fee to these roaches!
    And the tears will flow and blood will run in the streets. With a loud wailing and gnashing of teeth, Such is the pain to be suffered by those of you that require the latest ( and expensive ) technology, but at no extra cost.

Remind me of all those IPhone posts !

FYI - I can watch it for free cos my sons got a slingbox !

whats funny is netvigators site shows it only has 3M or 6M speed.....

but they mention in fine text that you can upgrade to 8M.....

and now news says you must have 11M.....

when are they going to actually advertise these faster connections? and post costs?

The 11M is only going to be available is those locations that have fibre either to the property or very close by (you can't run 11Mb/s over an copper pair for more than a couple of hundred metres at most). I guess this is still a smallish minority of properties, which is why they aren't advertising it as generally available.

there is an article on The Standard today...

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...d_str=20070720

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    The 11M is only going to be available is those locations that have fibre either to the property or very close by (you can't run 11Mb/s over an copper pair for more than a couple of hundred metres at most). I guess this is still a smallish minority of properties, which is why they aren't advertising it as generally available.
    Is there a list of fiber-ized properties / housing complexes? i would love to get fiber speed web access into the house.

But PCCW will only sell you 6, 8 or 11MB. Just because your property has a fibre in there which might, in principle carry, say 1GB, they aren't going to give you that bandwidth.

The people who claim to are HKBN. http://www.hkbn.com.hk but essentially they seem not to cater to the non-Chinese speaking market so you may not have much luck there.

>> Fiber .. this is still a smallish minority of properties

They have been all over our apartment complex in Pokfulam, rewiring and switching some of the equipment... the contractor was not too keen to share information, but I suspect that there is a fair bit of rewiring going on right now in major residential areas.

i just called netvigator and they said they have extremely few locations that actually offer the 11M speed, and that it is more for show.....

they wont have it for quite some time, as he said many places still do not have speeds better than 3M or 6M.

sadly....PI does not have it

Just bought my new HDTV and HT system and was getting excited about HD broadcasts... but it seems like its going to be a while before I start receiving HD quality broadcasts

It looks like you can pre-register for the NOW HD service, if you go to their website.

They've only announced two channels : Now Sports HD, and Voom HD. I'm not interested in either!

As per Now standards, there's no other information available, like when it's due to start, and if they're going to be adding more channels.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast