HDTV Cable in HK?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

HDTV Cable in HK?

What is the status of High Definition TV in HK? Has anyone heard anything official from icable or nowbroadband? Most of what I see is analog and pretty pixelated. I'm kind of wondering if it will be turned on anytime soon. Even the UK is now catching up with HD so maybe it won't be that long for HK.

Now has supposedly ordered 10,000 HDTV boxes which will run at about 45mbps, due for delivery in June / July. No word after the initial PR on what the status is.

so is there HDTV available yet? i dont see any news of this on Now's site and im about to but my first LCD TV

cough cough

Yeah I just bought an LCD for my Room. Nothing to go HDTV except for my XBOX 360 or dvd player that upconverts to 720p or 1080i.

I am finding HK is really slow, when the technology is suppose to be faster in some aspects than the states. Even Blue Ray or HD-dvd players I can not find while I see both format dvds are already available at HMV.

HDTV
    should be available eariler as planned, but 2 TV stations, TVB and ATV wait for mainland china to confirm the system, so the launch time postponed.........

why TVB and ATV wait for china...coz they want to use the same system to land their channels to china easily......

I've read that both TVB and ATV will begin broadcasting in digital this year, but there's no indication when exactly. In addition to the 4 local channels which will be broadcast in digital standard definition, the two stations have been granted licences for extra HD channels.

http://www.tvb.com/affairs/faq/news/20060329_e.html

Does anyone know when in 2007, Digital TV will be rolled out?

http://www.digitaltv.gov.hk says that it must be launched this year and 75% coverage must be achieved by the end of 2008.

PCCW plans to launch HDTV NOW within this year also.
    Last edited by PDLM; 14-02-2007 at 09:42 PM.

The video quality on NOW [now] sucks I have to say. It is definitely worse than DVD quality and I would say probably on par with VCD/VHS. Given that DSL has a limit of about 8Mbps, and that HDTV uses atleast 10-15Mbps - not sure how they are gonna offer HD without some infrastructure overhaul.

Exactly that - as I understand it the thing that is delaying the commercial launch is that they need to have enough buildings with fibre to the building which will then enable them to run 25MBps VDSL to individual apartments.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast