is there any way to track wireless intruders?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Some of my customers don't even subscribe to broadband in their office.

I was recently helping some customer that was having problems configuring a new machine. I asked him what ISP he was on. He replied, how should I know, I picked what ever I could find this morning. The guy explained that there was at least 20 networks to connect in his office building and he chose any at random, and asked me why he should be paying when he can be sharing other peoples.

Not much I could say to that.

Its true in my building there are seven unsecured networks, mine is the only secure one.
    Why did I bother subscribing to broadband

Captaincleanoff - if the hacker knows what he/she's doing they can't easily be traced, but for those of you free-riding on other people's networks, remember that they may be able to see information like your machine hostname - which may give away more than you expect. E.g. if their router is DHCP enabled, the DHCP station status page or log may show this in addition to the assigned address.

One other thing... I was back in the UK last week and without an internet connection when staying with one of my relatives. I found a neighbour's unencrypted network but it wasn't configured to automatically connect to their ISP (BTBroadband). Fortunately for me they hadn't set the router admin password so the connection issue was quickly fixed Fortunately for THEM I only wanted a quick internet connection, but I could have played hell with their router. Aside from MAC addresses and WEP keys, make sure you change the initial router password - many of them are left blank or set to 'admin' - if so, anyone getting onto your network only needs to visit http://192.168.0.1/1.1 or similar to take control.

I think it is worth mentioning that you can be tracked, if need be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2