Netvigator, how to get static IP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

>> we have no problems

Might have been an issue with the tests we did. Could not handle bursty traffic and did not seem worth bothering with, given the low cost of hosting on a reliable platform.

The reason for me to use Netvigator is for its stable/reliable connection with foreign websites/servers (so i've heard and read)

Besides setting up dyndns.com or no-ip.com, i think having a router is the best way to setup my 'static' ip.

i think this will be sufficient ?
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1903

Last edited by sefo; 27-06-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Provided that you have a mechanism for changing the IP on your server's whitelist every time your connection drops then I guess this is fine. I'nm guessing, but I'd be surprised if you vaerage more than a week or so without a new IP address on Netvigator.

sefo : we used netfront for several years... until we figured we wanted to convert from cable tv to a Now broadband TV.

They're highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    >> we have no problems

Might have been an issue with the tests we did. Could not handle bursty traffic and did not seem worth bothering with, given the low cost of hosting on a reliable platform.
    Dunno. I have 12 months worth of MRTG (SNMP) graphs collected from our router proving that they burst all the time they burst very well. Given that it is a PCCW MegaAccess circuit, it is certanily doing more than the 1.5Mbit in and the 512Kbit out that circuit is specked out to.

Anyway judging ISPs is very subjective and it is down to what you require the circuit to do and where you need it to go. Many people are ranting that this and other ISPs are the best because of how fast they can download from a specific site, and are not interested in consistent performance or don't care about reliability. The issue is low low price.

What is the best ISP... This useless question that people will keep asking, and most answer they will get will be just as useless.

When picking a datacenter, given our requirement was only GOOD intra HK bandwidht, out of 5 data centers, 4 where not even worth considering, due to either security, bad management, or a piss poorly configured IP network.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Provided that you have a mechanism for changing the IP on your server's whitelist every time your connection drops then I guess this is fine. I'nm guessing, but I'd be surprised if you vaerage more than a week or so without a new IP address on Netvigator.
    I"m guessing you have the experience of frequent line-drops with Netvigator ?

Unfortunately I do - I am close to the distance limit from the exchange which means that I am susceptible to dodgy cables. I happen to know someone senior in the right part of PCCW and he tells me that within the next 2 weeks they will replace those cables with fibre to the building which will give me the capability for HDTV service as soon as they launch it...

When picking a datacenter, given our requirement was only GOOD intra HK bandwidht, out of 5 data centers, 4 where not even worth considering, due to either security, bad management, or a piss poorly configured IP network.
    Was the 5th one Equinix by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by sefo
    The reason for me to use Netvigator is for its stable/reliable connection with foreign websites/servers (so i've heard and read)

Besides setting up dyndns.com or no-ip.com, i think having a router is the best way to setup my 'static' ip.

i think this will be sufficient ?
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1903
    No. Being a ADSL connection, Netvigator has the right to disconnect you once every 24 hours. Thus forcing you to got a new IP.

Purchased my router, installed it, configured it, played with it, had to fiddle with security a bit....... but its up and running for a few days and i have my static IP address for 3 days straight now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2