Broadband modem

Broadband modem

Hi there

Just moved to HK and have Now Broadband installed with a wireless router. I can't get the wireless to work, but my question is - I don't really need wireless so can I buy any broadband modem and use an ethernet cable direct to my PC?
    Downstairs where the TV is I have the modem set up feeding to the Now tv box which works fine. Upstairs in the study I have the PC and an ADSL/telephone jack. I have taken the modem upstairs to the study (so cannot currently watch tv) and connected it to the PC so I can get internet access. I tried calling PCCW to order a second modem but they said (at least I think they said) I would need to subscribe to a second package to get a second modem.
    So any issues with going out and buying my own modem, putting the Now modem back downstairs to work with the TV, and the new modem in the study.
    Sorry if this sounds confusing, but any help would be appreciated.

Yes - it won't work with a second modem. And for a second connection you will need to use a different pair of wires all the way from the exchange to the modem.

To run your PC and TV in separate places the best way is to put the DSL modem, the Now box and a wireless router next to the TV and then connect your PC wirelessly from wherever. If the walls/floor are too think then you'll need to try to get an ethernet cable up from the DSL modem, of a Wi-Fi extender somewhere inbetween the Access Point/Router and your PC.

Take a look at the Linksys SRX range of WiFi router / cards if range is an issue. They work really well for us ....

Thanks for the info.

A PCCW tech is coming out on Thursday to get the wireless working, so I will have to walk the modem between floors so I can watch TV or use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Take a look at the Linksys SRX range of WiFi router / cards if range is an issue. They work really well for us ....
    SRX, this must one of those Wifi units with 5W output, good to give the kids that 2400Mhz glow?

The antennas look good for heating up hot dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Camsoph:
    Just moved to HK and have Now Broadband installed with a wireless router. I can't get the wireless to work, but my question is - I don't really need wireless so can I buy any broadband modem and use an ethernet cable direct to my PC?
    Did you sign a long contract if not then you could change to another broadband provider but still keep NOW broadband tv. The new provider's modem can be situated upstairs.
    Otherwise, as you say you don't need wireless access, you could run an ethernet cable from the downstairs modem to the pc upstairs. This is easier if you are living in a village house as they tend to have thin floors. There are pc accessory shops who will sell you any length of ethernet cable.

Thumbs up Netvigator & Wireless

If you have another ADSL modem from Netvigator, you can use it upstairs. No problem.

But I think you can argue with Now. I will simply move the modem upstairs and ask Now to fix the problem. (They may run a cable from up stairs to down stairs if you accept, or they may be forced to supply another ADSL modem to you, solely for Now)

For Wireless, please try the following in sequence:

1. Test with Wired client.
    2. Test with Wireless Client using no encryption
    3. Test with Wireless Client using WEP encryption
    4. Test with other encryption you want.

If you failed with 1 or 2, seek a new "firmware" from your Wireless router supplier.

If you failed with 3 or 4, seed updated driver/management software or Service Packs to the Operating System you are using (Windows 2000, XP, etc).

I have see a lot of similar problems, from no name router to LinkSys routers. All the same.

Wireless is easy, as long as you are not using encryption.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sampsonfung:
    If you have another ADSL modem from Netvigator, you can use it upstairs. No problem.
    Have you actually done this? I would be extremely surprised if that would work (with simultaneous broadband and NOW running) given the effort PCCW has put into anti-piracy on the NOW content.

Yes. I have done that.

I have one client having two Netvigator accounts and two Now accounts. So there are two ADSL modems.

Either Netvigator account can be used at any ADSL modem. No problem.

Don't mix Now and Netvigator Broadband.

You can have Now only, but no Broadband access.

When you visit your friend's home, you can use your own Netvigator ID to connect broadband, if your friend is also have Netvigator.

Er, that's completely different - if he has two accounts they run over two different pairs of wires and you pay twice as much for it. That's not what Camsoph is trying to do - he is trying to SPLIT a single account on one set of wires from the exchange between two modems. That will not work.