Where to buy Roomba (irobot that sweep floor)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to buy Roomba (irobot that sweep floor)

Hi all,

Does anyone know where to buy a Roomba (irobot vacuum cleaner that can sweep floor) in HK? Thanks a lot in advance..

jgl

I've seen them years ago in the base of Seibu in Pacific Place. They were retailing for aroudn x3 US prices.

You're much better off getting one (refurbed as you don't get the warranty anyway) from the US if you go there. iRobot has an online store. Or buying on Ebay and having it shipped. Some of the Ebay sellers charge vaguely reasonable international shipping rates.

Thanks a lot Jgl.

It's much more expensive here. I haven't tried one though, but I am really tired doing all the housework and taking care my children at the same time. Saw my friend used it, and looks quite helpful. That's why I am thinking of getting one..

Do you use it? Any comments about Roomba?

jgl

Anything slightly out of the ordinary is much more expensive here. Though you could confirm by calling the HK distributor: iRobot Corporation: Directions - Hong Kong

For the cost of a Roomba in Hong Kong, you could have a helper come in once a week to vacuum your floors for 2-3 years. Even if you pick one up from the US, your breakeven point is around 1 year.

The Roomba is a cool toy. However, it's pretty noisy (too noisy to use comfortably in the same room) and slow. Still, it is entertaining to own.

Last edited by jgl; 06-07-2010 at 05:52 PM.

http://www.amerapool.com/

dun know if this is more expensive than US... as it will cost around 3k

I had a Roomba, one of the earlier models, but I used it quite a bit.

First, it really does pick up quite a bit. You'll be surprised when removing the dirt filter what's inside. That said, we still vacuumed the house periodically (we had a monster Dyson vacuum for the carpets)

It can easily catch on things, such as socks under the bed, or an electrical cable or a curtain cable. This can get rather annoying so basically you need to roomba-proof your room before running it.

The newer models are programmable and auto-recharging, and if I had one of those I'd probably set it to run every day, just for the heck of that. The one we had we ran regularly, and on occasion when in a pinch (i.e. guests coming over).

The pattern it makes on the carpet is pretty weird though. On floors it might be a bit better.

jgl

Hey, those prices are pretty much inline with US prices. I guess that's an advantage of reading Chinese... one is no longer limited to places like Seibu for weird home appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Anything slightly out of the ordinary is much more expensive here. Though you could confirm by calling the HK distributor: iRobot Corporation: Directions - Hong Kong

For the cost of a Roomba in Hong Kong, you could have a helper come in once a week to vacuum your floors for 2-3 years. Even if you pick one up from the US, your breakeven point is around 1 year.

The Roomba is a cool toy. However, it's pretty noisy (too noisy to use comfortably in the same room) and slow. Still, it is entertaining to own.
    really?? how much does a clean cost?

assume $200 every week... 52 weeks... is like $10400.. hmmm..

Wow, thanks a lot for your info Jgl! Maybe I should really consider if I want to buy one. Or just get a part timer to help me out...

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by wcluk:
    really?? how much does a clean cost?

assume $200 every week... 52 weeks... is like $10400.. hmmm..
    $60 an hour. 1 hour to vacuum a flat. Once a week for 52 weeks. $3120.

A part time helper will also clean a floor much more effectively than a Roomba. The Roomba sweeps, it doesn't really vacuum and it certainly does not mop or wipe.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if helpers have minimum blocks of time.
    Last edited by jgl; 06-07-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast