Upgrading Laptop RAM

Closed Thread

Upgrading Laptop RAM

Hey all, Any help finding my way through the maze of RAM upgrading would be much appreciated

I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-A115Z laptop in standard form (both slots occupied by 256MB sticks) and want to upgrade RAM. According to Sony I can only go up to 1Gb. However, the Crucial site says I can go up to 2GBb. I emailed Crucial and they said the following:

We've tested and guarantee 2GB of RAM to work in your system. You shouldn't have to worry about the extra 1GB of RAM. If there was a limitation of 1GB then the extra 1GB of RAM would not be recognized or the system may have stability issues.
    Sounds a little contradictory??? When they say "stability issues" what are they talking about?

Do you guys think it's safer to stick with 1Gb or harmless to go up to 2Gb?

EDIT: Oops wrong forum, feel free to move KIA
    Last edited by nation; 17-07-2006 at 12:16 PM.

I would go with what Sony says. Other websites selling RAM upgrades also quote a maximum of 1GB. Too much RAM and you suffer the law of diminishing returns.

i'd go for what sony said as well. who would know a sony laptop better than sony.

Thanks. Yeah that's what I was thinking but wasn't too sure whether there was a legit reason behind the 1Gb max or Sony just being cautious.

Check this

Hey guys,
    Don't guess... just go to visit www.kingston.com to check your model support.
    it should be max 1GB (2 x 512MB). Also make sure if u purchase kingston ram for the part number.
    Cheers

Thanks, Kingston I can trust