Ignoramus seeking help - Cable / Broadband...HUH?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    deleteduser

The sound is stereo, but only if you want to listen to two languages at once. Of course it is stereo at BEST, which sucks for watching movies (something they try to promote it as).

And I get a full 6mmbps no problem.

Look, I'm not sure why you feel offended that I think NowTV sucks, and replied with inflammatory remarks. Maybe you're an employee or a shareholder, I don't know. My point is this; there may not be a better IP based cable system in the world. But the bottom line is - 6mbps is not enough for watching anything other than perhaps news programs or the odd MeiAh drama.

The day they make full HDTV available, I will be in line to upgrade. I don't have anything against PCCW, just that they promote NOW TV as being something far better than it really is. Sub-VCD quality with mono sound (stereo at best), crappy lineup (again, not PCCW's fault). The fact that it leeches your entire internet connection is again not PCCW's fault, but a fault of IP based TV. So therefore, that's just another reason it sucks.

I'll keep NOW because a) I think I have to for 18 months and b) it's the only way to watch Formula 1 live in HK (unfortunately the video quality is so terrible, the fast motion of the track often makes it look like a screen full of squares - once again not PCCW's fault, but due to MPEG-2 overcompression).

I hope this time you don't get offended by my attacking what seems to be your favourite product or company.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Formula 1 live in HK (unfortunately the video quality is so terrible, the fast motion of the track often makes it look like a screen full of squares - once again not PCCW's fault, but due to MPEG-2 overcompression).
    You definitely have a problematic connection. I watch all the F1 and it has NEVER been a screen full of squares, If it goes that way get PCCW out to sort out your connection. It doesn't have to be that way.

deleteduser

I was exaggurating. In other words: It looks like over-compressed garbage. Like a VCD or single layer DVD. Crap.

I'll just have to wait for true HDTV. I'll pay anything for it too

For now, I sitll reccommend against Now. But really it depends on what you watch. If the shows you watch are on cable, I'd go for that instead.