How do you configure 2 sets of speakers on PC?

Closed Thread

How do you configure 2 sets of speakers on PC?

Hello listfolk

Ok this one has me a bit baffled. The problem is this:

I have two sets of speakers attached to the PC, one USB, the other from the audio out port of my sound card connected to the audio in on my home theatre setup.

How can I 'control' both sets of speakers?

To explain - I have a lead running from my PC to the audio input of my DVD / Home Theatre setup so when I play DVD's from the PC I get the sound out of the home cinema. This setup works fine.

The problem is, if the Home Theatre is being used for something else ie someone is watching TV, they don't want my PC sounds coming out of the DVD player.

So I bought a pair of cheapie USB speakers. I thought I could plug those into a USB port and use them when someone is watching the TV.

I plugged the USB speakers in - plug and play no problem. To get sounds, I need to open up the volume control panel, select properties and change the mixer device to 'USB Audio'. Then I get the sound out of my USB speakers. But I cannot find a way to get my sound BACK to the sound card line out port. If I open up volume control properties and change the mixer device back to 'SigmaTel Audio' the sound still comes out of the USB speakers.

In fact the only way I can see that I can get sound back to the DVD player is to unplug the USB speakers. This isn't ideal.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and can suggest a fix?

Thanks!

control panel > sounds and audio > {audio tab}
    allows you to choose your default device. Change this each time you need to switch.

Alternatively, your audio playing software should allow you to switch outputs.

hi neither3nor4

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, perhaps I should have made my post a bit clearer. I can change the default playback device - and it will switch to the USB speakers. But if I change the default playback device back to SigmaTel Audio (ie the DVD player) it still plays out the USB speakers. The only way I can get it to switch back is to unplug the USB speakers completely.

This one is baffling me!

Thanks

Sounds like a problem that you might want to air on a Microsoft or Windows forum. Too specific for this forum methinks.

Aii, probably true. Although I have seen some pretty specific problems resolved here in the past!