Laptop Battery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It can be cheaper

Never used them before.

But, $80 is a little higher, IMHO. Most of them is around $30-50 USD.

Wing you stated you had yours replaced. So can you share with us the name of the place to go to here in HK? Thanks!

battery repair shops

There are 2 places that I know.

One is on the second floor of the DB plaza. There is a computer store there. They quoted me $350 HKD for either my Sony Vaio or HP laptop. I suspect that they don't do it themselves because they told me it would take 3 days to turn around.

The place that actually does the repair in the Wan Chai Computer Centre.
    There are at least 2 shops that I know of but I can't remember their names.
    One is on the side alley, which does the repair and they may be able to do it on the same day if they are not too busy. Another one is on the main alley but I suspect that they farm out to the one on the side alley for repair. But, all the them quoted me similiar prices ~ $350 HKD.

Sorry. I still have a hard time to remember all these English-Chinese names. They all sound the same to me.

So if I walk down a side alley near the Wanchai Comp Center it should be easily spotted?

I think its a better idea than buying a replacement non OEM battery due to concerns about explosions etc. Its either get a new OEM one or the cell replacement. Do they warranty the replacement and provide a receipt? Which one have you used in HK or know of someone who has used with no problematic results. Thanks again.

got one yet?
    I find that the Battery Collection stores are pretty competitive

just a question,
    if one is to use the laptop mostly from wire at home, does it make sense to disconnect the battery ?
    how long shld the battery be left unconnected to extend the usable life ?

Quote Original Post:
    just a question,
    if one is to use the laptop mostly from wire at home, does it make sense to disconnect the battery ?
    how long shld the battery be left unconnected to extend the usable life ?
    Yes it does make sense to remove the battery if it's going to be connected to power all the time.

Anyway, most of the later IBM notebooks (not sure about other brands) have a software feature that you can customize when it will start charging the battery (e.g below 50% remaining) to prolong battery life.

Quote Original Post:
    got one yet?
    I find that the Battery Collection stores are pretty competitive
    No I havent had time. Where is the Battery Collection store? My only concern with a non OEM battery is it might destroy my notebook.

Also strange is humidity seems to have an effect on my batteries. Last time was in S. America and battery life went from 3 hours to 20mins. Same thing in HK. Went from about 2+ hours to now 30mins max. I have the AC on all the time except at night.

Quote Original Post:
    Yes it does make sense to remove the battery if it's going to be connected to power all the time.

Anyway, most of the later IBM notebooks (not sure about other brands) have a software feature that you can customize when it will start charging the battery (e.g below 50% remaining) to prolong battery life.
    Is it true for a Li-Ion it is best not to do the full discharge and then charge but also not to leave it plugged in all the time?

Quote Original Post:
    No I havent had time. Where is the Battery Collection store? My only concern with a non OEM battery is it might destroy my notebook.

Also strange is humidity seems to have an effect on my batteries. Last time was in S. America and battery life went from 3 hours to 20mins. Same thing in HK. Went from about 2+ hours to now 30mins max. I have the AC on all the time except at night.
    Batteries have to be full discharged and full recharged for the best performance. They have a "memory". It just means that they setup the zero battery level from the moment you start to recharge them. If your battery is at 50% level and then you start recharging, then the battery will reset its zero level from that 50%, so your battery will last half. Now, this is true for common batteries. I don't know if laptop batteries are affected by this process.
    In doubt always full discharge and full recharge. When recharged just disconnect the AC or remove battery and work with the AC on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast