Problem with Wireless Router

Closed Thread

Problem with Wireless Router

Hi, everyone.

I got an eagletec wireless router that I have been trying to set-up. I can see the wireless connection icon on the system which indicated a strong signal but I could not successfully go online.

I checked the default gateway IP and the DN server IP and found them to be same as eagletec which is 192.168.1.254. I also viewed all the wireless networks and saw that there's one unsecured default wireless connection aside from the one I have set-up. Could it be because of this? Or do I need to manually input the DNS server IP which is 192.168.1.254? I tried putting the DNS in but still did not work.

Would appreciate anyone who can lend me a hand.

The Broadband service DHCP server appears not to be talking to you. My guess is that this is because you connected your router to the service after disconnecting your PC, but without cloning the PC's MAC address onto the router. Most broadband services in HK are set up not to accept connections from what appear to be different computers within a short period of time.

somewhat related conceptual question:

for wireless router, assuming i using ADSL that requires password login each time i connect to broadband.

does the router keeps the log-in information within the memory itself ? how does it bypass the login process to provide me with the wireless connection ?

of cos my original system has only 1 connection setup (with the password and login memoried).

Your router setup screens contain a place for you to specify PPPoE login and, if needed, to enter the username and password.

i thought that was the case. but ended up i did not key in any of those password and did managed to get the broadband wireless set up...

on another note, what's the general 'reflection' specs of the wireless broadband frequency ? seems that i can only get good intermitten signal when i am in the room that's like 10m away.. are the reflections a key deterrant ?

It's not reflections - it's that many of the walls in most HK apartments are very high density and have a lot of metal in them, so the radio signals don't penetrate very far.

I saw a Belkin wireless router and lan card for sale in the Wan Chai computer centre that claims to have 8 - 10 times the wireless penetration compared to 'regular' wireless routers. Cost just under 2k for a router and 1 card though.