View Poll Results: Which one will you be buying (or for early adopters: have already bought)

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blu-Ray

8 57.14%
  • HD DVD

3 21.43%
  • Neither

3 21.43%

HD-DVD / Blu-Ray

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HD-DVD / Blu-Ray

Actually, I want Holographic disks... now. What's holding 'em up? They've been keeping them and the car that runs on water under wraps for way too long.

Holographic discs will be here by this Xmas. Don't hold your breath though; discs are excpected to be between $120-180 USD each, and the drives in the $15,000 USD range.

Definately not going to buy one for the computer until and unless I upgrade my systems -- which will be next year.

As far as home theater goes, the jury is out there .. no compelling reason from both camps to invest in either technology. The decision will be made when Xbox and PS3 come out with their respective High Def consoles. By that time there should be a good variety of content available to compare and make a decision.

One major problem is .. it will also involve upgrading the trusty receiver we have... I can see us needing a HDMI switching receiver ... so overall it will be an expensive upgrade.

Lets see how Christmas goes ...

And the winner so far... by a statistically insignificant margin of 3 based on a total of 5 votes is................. Blu Ray! There you have it, invest now

Why do I get the feeling nobody is at all excited about either format?

I'll probably buy an HD-DVD addon for my XBOX 360. PS3 is going to be an absolute miserable failure, and there's no way I am going to spend what they want on one. So my vote by default is HD-DVD.

>> Why do I get the feeling nobody is at all excited about either format?

Remind you of Beta v/s VHS?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    Remind you of Beta v/s VHS?
    At least with that, one of them had the decency to pack up and go home leaving a nice simple monopoly. These days the drives just end up supporting everything and the confusion goes on indefinitely.

With BluRay and HD there are some huge licensing issues which will prevent manufacturers from doing a dual drive. Samsung has already hinted that they have the technology, but will not be able to get a license approved from the two camps to make a dual media drive.

One interesting tidbit that I picked up while researching this issue for another site was that the PS/3 will come with a HDMI 1.3 interface -- which is likely to not work with existing TVs ... not sure how true this is, I might have misread it. Following up .. checking ...

I started out as a Blu-Ray fan ... simply because, it was not the Microsoft approved camp. Sony seems to have seriously lost the early PR battle online .. nothing that a few billion dollars worth of marketing can't fix.. but still they've lost some initial goodwill.

PS3 will support HDMI 1.3, but only on the high end version ($600 USD, if you can believe it).

XBOX 360's HD-DVD will likely use 1.3 as well, since it doesn't make much sense to support true 1920x1080 HDTV and be limited to HDMI 1.0.

1.3 will be backwards compatible with current TV's.

http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp

eventually, I will add the HD-DVD drive into my PC
    (also another slot to add the Blu-ray drive if necessary)

currently, I am running Window XP Media Center Edition, so yes, my XBOX360 can communicate with my PC now...!

I personally support the HD-DVD format even the Blu-ray can do 1080P resolution..(I don't have the 1080P LCD TV yet, so that's not important)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast