Does anyone know AJAX?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anyone know AJAX?

Is there anyone in HK who happens to be good at AJAX? If so, please contact me for potential partnership or consulting opportunities. There seems to be a dearth of AJAX developers in HK.

We are building a next generation online recruiting solution utilising the latest web technologies. It's an exciting project with a dedicated team pushing it forward. PM me for more details.

Cheers.

Look at www.rentacoder.com and try and find someone in eastern europe. The rates and quality in HK are not upto par, unless you're going to spend money to hire and train.

Thanks KIA - I appreciate the leads. Will look into them.

Oi, KIA, sssshhhh!

I don't know, telling people to go get cheap Eastern Europeans rather than nice expensive local expats...

Ooopsie

Sowwie!

Quote Originally Posted by lionrock88:
    There seems to be a dearth of AJAX developers in HK.
    There's a general absence of any decent developers in HK fullstop no? A few hardware companies I have spoken to have engineering in Taiwan. Hong Kong websites are maa maa, there are some ok because they get a bit better funding like Perhaps Love, McDull, Love Undercover, etc, but their hosting is often terrible and really slow. I think that ties in with HKIX being severly overdue for an upgrade, their stats page shows avergage 20GB core speed.

My wife is looking for a web designer, we currently have a Korean designer as their websites are a significant step up in quality.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 14-08-2006 at 05:35 PM.

There are a few good developers in Hong Kong, especially those trained overseas. Although you're right, the general quality coming out of the local HK universities aren't comparable to the top grads from the US or even China. Technology/software development just doesn't seem to be a popular career choice or area of study for most Hong Kongers.

Also, I've noticed that when it comes to utilising and deploying the latest web technologies - HK generally seems to be 6 -24 months behind the cutting-edge developments coming out State-side.

MrMoo.. how was your Korean web designer? Could you recommend anyone? I'm looking for a good one too...

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    There's a general absence of any decent developers in HK fullstop no? A few hardware companies I have spoken to have engineering in Taiwan. Hong Kong websites are maa maa, there are some ok because they get a bit better funding like Perhaps Love, McDull, Love Undercover, etc, but their hosting is often terrible and really slow. I think that ties in with HKIX being severly overdue for an upgrade, their stats page shows avergage 20GB core speed.

My wife is looking for a web designer, we currently have a Korean designer as their websites are a significant step up in quality.
    In terms of software developers there are some good ones in HK. You just have to find them. They don't tend to advertise and often their skils are wasted in working in crap jobs.

As for web designers. FORGET HK. Even with the most basic static projects, most people 95% can't deliver anything. To me it seems like if you someone that you are not reliable, you break down, like to dissapear, like to not complete jobs, then you become a web designer. If real web designers have taken offence by this and think they these comments don't apply, please send me a PM.

As for intra HK traffic, HKIX is well funded. The cost of running a GE pipe to HKIX is affordable and I from I most ISPs are far from maxing out their HKIX pipes. Judging Internet in HK based a 20Gbit average is not fair. The big 4 ISPs account for maybe 50-70% of the intra HK traffic and those guys are peering with each other directly.

HKIX has a core switch has a preetty fat back plane and do tens times the traffic it currently does. Simply it switches what it receives.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    In terms of software developers there are some good ones in HK. You just have to find them. They don't tend to advertise and often their skils are wasted in working in crap jobs.
    I was surprised to find Voyage Linux, its actually pretty good although slow on updates. But as with McDull a lot of Hong Kong people just work enough to eat

So why is accessing HK web sites slow? I know from talking to the ISPs many customers have moved to hosting themselves in their offices on DSL, that certainly doesn't help. Is it competition with cheap price plans? The prices and speeds are incomparable to the likes of Dreamhost though.

lionrock88: After a review this week the designer is very good at illustrations but the actual web design and layout hasn't been so good, so we are still looking too

I do all the AJAX myself but I'm too expensive to be paid for it, you can check out some examples if you really want.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 16-08-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast