NOW TV with computer monitor

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NOW TV with computer monitor

Is there a way to hook up NOW Broadband to a computer monitor without going through a computer? My monitor takes all sorts of connecting cables except the red, white and yellow ones. Is there some "converter" into which I can plug the red, white and yellow cables and output to the normal monitor cables?

Quote Originally Posted by applefan:
    Is there a way to hook up NOW Broadband to a computer monitor without going through a computer? My monitor takes all sorts of connecting cables except the red, white and yellow ones. Is there some "converter" into which I can plug the red, white and yellow cables and output to the normal monitor cables?
    Yes - you want a composite video (yellow) to vga converter which you should be able to find in places like Wanchai computer center. For the red and white (stereo audio) you need a lead with red and white on one end and a mini jack stereo on the other which will plug into your sound card.

I have a glorified tuner box which converts s-video (s-vhs), tv signals and the composite into a VGA output -- we can watch TV and other mind numbing junk on the LCD monitor.

Wander into one of the computer center and ask around - might still be available.

KIA: What is that thing called? What should I ask for when I go to these stores? I have EyeTV for my mac which works like your glorified tuner but it has to be plugged into my mac. I want to be able to not plug into my computer but straight into the monitor. If you don't mind my asking, roughly how much does that glorified tuner cost?

Quote Originally Posted by applefan:
    KIA: What is that thing called? What should I ask for when I go to these stores? I have EyeTV for my mac which works like your glorified tuner but it has to be plugged into my mac. I want to be able to not plug into my computer but straight into the monitor. If you don't mind my asking, roughly how much does that glorified tuner cost?
    What monitor are you running? If you are using the relatively recent Apple Cinema Display, I don't think you'll be able to use the box KIA describes as the ACD uses DVI connection. There might be boxes that convert those signals into DVI but i'm not certain.

Its a Viewsonic "N4-HK"

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tv.../nextvisionn4/

You can buy a VGA-DVI plug if you really do need to go to a DVI monitor. Having said that ... my DVI monitors have a analog port on them .. so works well.

Applefan : if you want, I can lend you my box for a test. We're in Cyberport.

Cost me about 400 or so about 18 months ago. Not sure if its sold anymore .. the N5 seems more expensive.

LostArt: I'm not using a mac display, just a normal LCD monitor.

KIA: Thanks for the offer. I spent 2 hours last night at a computer mall and found several things that would work but nothing like the one you have. Yours looks so much better. Where did you buy it? I think I'm going to get one this weekend.

>> Where did you buy it?

Wanchai Computer Center. Go to the top floor.. forget which specific shop.

but then, what kind of software does one need? how do you switch between the desktop and NOW?

thx

There are two types of TV tuners. One type (which is what I have right now) needs to be plugged into the computer and it comes with the software. The other kind is just a TV tuner much like your TIVO box. You plug one end into the monitor and the other end into NOW TV box, and voila!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast