HK Broadband 1Gb Internet

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK Broadband 1Gb Internet

Does anyone have any experience with HK Broadband's 1000Mb/s broadband services? How do you like it? Any complaint?

I'm actually looking to get the 100Mb/s plan. Anyone has experience with this as well? Is connection with overseas sites/servers (mainly US/UK) good? What about customer service?

Thanks in advance!

Connection
    Monthly Charge
    Installation
    Local Connection
    Max. Bandwidth
    Overseas Connection
    Max. Bandwidth

Contract
    Fibre To Door
    FTTH

$1,680
    $6,828
    1,000 Mbps
    20 Mbps
    18 months
    Fibre to Bldg.
    FTTB

$1,680
    $4,828
    1,000 Mbps
    20 Mbps上
    18 months

As you can see, the overseas connection speed is only 20Mbs, so......

Whats the URL for this service specifications? I could not find it on their site ..

I use to be on HK Broadband 100mb. Wasn't a good experience. Loads of down time. Some local sites can be quite fast, but presuming that you surf mainly sites outside of HK, they are not very fast, so all that speed is wasted.

Customer service, I suppose does their job. They call you back when they said they will, but that's for Cantonese service. Not sure for English.

Overall, not recommended. Would not use them again. If you log onto their forums (in Chinese), you'll find that there are always loads of complaints. Some areas seem to have satisfied customers, but certain areas seem to always experience problems. Seems to be a bit of a lottery as to what you'll get.

Considering that many HK web sites are hosted with rate limited 10mb connections I cannot imagine it being an overly worthwhile expense. I have a co-lo at Pacific Internet, not so hot speeds already, just look at their website,, they boast a 2gb connection to HKIX, woohoo!

It appears similarly fated with other hosting companies, does any hosting company fair better?

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like I am giong to have to keep looking. I heard HKGC is pretty good. Right?

(In case you are wondering, I'm trying to stay away from Netvigator if I can)

From local BT forum, HKBN is fast when the seeds and peers are within HK but when you've to go overseas, then it'd be slow.

Just curiious, how come you want to stay away from Netvigator? I thought that the overseas connection were faster than i-cable and it's stable.

Not sure about other provider tho.

I don't like what they are doing with the whole port blocking thing. And iirc KIA mentioned something about netvigator's SMTP server being blacklisted.

I am actually using Netvigator at the place I am temporarily staying. I'm not terribly impressed with their connections overseas (UK and US, mostly).

But if what you said is true.. then I guess I'll just have to live with it...

Does HKBN offer any short term contract? Say you can try the 100MB for a month to actually check things out?

For Hutchison broadband, local BT folks' comment varies from fast to slow, unstable, poor CS and so on. Someone says it depends on where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by LostArt:
    I don't like what they are doing with the whole port blocking thing. And iirc KIA mentioned something about netvigator's SMTP server being blacklisted.
    Who cares? All the SMTP servers are black listed for simply being in Hong Kong anyway. You should be using gmail, yahoo!, hotmail, etc if you value your email.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast