Burnt HP Laptop Battery -- where to complain?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by fly:
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely keep these handy in case this escalates. Apparantly I was still upset yesterday, I would like to clarify that it wasn't the battery, it was the transformer cable (not the AC cord) that shorted and spewed flames. I still have the item and yes, this is my home laptop that has never left the house, (except for 2 service fixes for the harddrive and touchpad, but that's unrelated) so it was definitely within the operating environment.

    I have sent them a formal complaint yesterday evening and their CS has just called me back "my pc was ready for pickup"; unfortunately he wasn't clear I didn't leave them any PC and I wanted to talk about my flammable transformer cable! He's called me about the wrong ticket! Aargh, even their internal communication sucks!
    Er, cables dont just short out. Did you snag and cut the cable by accident? If not best way to attack these problems is from a consumer safety standpoint. Tell them it is emitting sparks and you are concerned that a HP computer and cable might set the whole buildng on fire. Maybe in HK its diff. Shouldnt be but elsewhere they would think possible liability and replace right away.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,578

    Saw this today. Perhaps these HP guys are using a similar battery that caused this major recall.


    http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/14/d...ion-batteries/


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    213

    The catalyst is the fear of liability on the part of Dell.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    473

    Asian1: No, definitely not snagged or cut. It's basically shorted right behind the jack that plugs into the PC. You know how the jack itself usually has about 1cm or so of thicker cabling/protection since that's where it meets the cable and would typically be subjected to most stress? The fire is on the cable itself just directly behind this point.

    My point is that the cabling used isn't robust enough to last regular consumer use and poses a fire risk. When I pointed this obvious point to the CS, they frankly couldn't care less and gave the typical "company policy" reply.


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,205

    Sounds like user abuse to me... I wouldn't be surprised if you had the weight of the power supply dangling on the plug for extended periods.

    And why does the title of this thread refer to the "HP battery" when it is nothing to do with the battery at all?

    I'm beginning to smell a troll here...


  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    473

    PDLM, The actual transformer is hardly heavy enough to cause the damage if it was indeed dangling, and bearing in mind the cable length from transformer to laptop is 6', the majority of the time it's sitting on the floor. Please don't suggest that I've wound up the cable to make it shorter, or have swung the transformer round and round while holding onto the jack either...

    I've corrected the battery reference in an earlier post.



    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Sounds like user abuse to me... I wouldn't be surprised if you had the weight of the power supply dangling on the plug for extended periods.

    And why does the title of this thread refer to the "HP battery" when it is nothing to do with the battery at all?

    I'm beginning to smell a troll here...

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    213

    If I were the techy at the service center my inclination is you are yanking the cord out and not holding it by the connector when pulling it out. It is molded plastic so the likelyhood of anything getting loose is slim. Why not just go to MongKok and get a replacement and then pursue it. Based on the facts of your case, you have an uphill battle.