Restore Data from DDS-3 DAT Tapes

Closed Thread

Restore Data from DDS-3 DAT Tapes

a few days ago i coincidentially found some 4-5 years old DDS-3 DAT tapes which had been used in my previous company to backup data from our server using veritas backup exec on an HP DDS-3 DAT drive (no idea which model no., but it could be C1537A, maybe with hardware compression activated). i estimate that the data volume is around 80 GB spanned in a backup set over 7 tapes, but i obviously don't want to buy a DAT tape drive for several thousands of HKD only for restoring the data once and then throw it away after that. it's not urgent and there's no critical data on them to justify expensive recovery methods.

can anyone help me with that problem? best would be if i could borrow such a tape drive for a few days, but i would appreciate as well if someone could take the tapes and help me to restore the data. i could provide the backup exec software and a harddisk or an NAS to copy the restored data on it. of course i would be willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for that kind of service as well (-> should be less than the costs for a tape drive ).

HP c2983a SCSI DAT Drive

I have an old c2983a sitting in the closet. Not sure whether it supports DDS-3 tho.

thanks banang, but i checked up the model number with google and it seems to be only a DDS-2 tape drive. i'll check up on ebay and hope that i can get a used DDS-3 tape drive for not that much money. it's still of course a risk, as for those old drives there is usually no warranty available.