Tips on YPbPr Component Input connection

Closed Thread

Tips on YPbPr Component Input connection

In my instruction manual of my Philips LCD TV cum Monitor,
    Using the supplied YPBPr to VGA connector cable, connect the YPbPR end to the component video out terminal of progressive DVD/Setup Box, and connect the other end to the VGA connector on the back of the LCD Monitor.

Question:
    1. I tried to use this cable and connect it to my old VHS video player. At the back of my VHS video player, there is the Yellow-Red-White connection out. Somehow it does not work.

Can anyone please explain?

Cos the three YPbPr connections are for video signals only, the connections coming out of your video player are a composite signal, (only the yellow connector is video) and audio from the red and left connectors (right and left channel respecively).
    The two are totally incompatible means of connection.

I'm sure you'll find a composite input connection somewhere on your LCD TV, using that input will allow you to watch your VHS videos.

B.

The reason is the TV has only two ports: one with the VGA connector input and the other one is the composite video input. The composite video input has already been used up, so I left with only one port which is the VGA port.
    So does that mean that I cannot use this VGA port for my video player?

Ahh, ok. Now I understand better what it is you’re trying to do.
    Well yes there is a method for connecting your video player to the VGA input of your LCD (is it really a TV btw? because with so few input connections its sounds more like just a monitor) but it doesn’t involve a simple cable adaptor. It’s possible to get a converter box that will take the composite signal from the video player and generate a suitable VGA signal, often they are known as PC-converter’s. I’ve never used one, don’t know how well they work and a quick Google search suggests they can be a bit pricey too.
    An alternative solution would be to buy a simple switch that you can plug both your video player and other composite signal source(s) into and feed that into the single VGA input of your LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Booga:
    and feed that into the single VGA input of your LCD.
    err... that should read: and feed that into the single COMPOSITE input of your LCD.