is macbook good?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I love my Mac, I have switched one year ago and I find it a lot more user friendly, than PC.
    Ballerina

One more thing, Mac's have a lot less trouble with viruses, if any at all!

Last edited by ballerina; 07-09-2006 at 11:34 AM.

The black one is more expensive not just because it's black. It has a faster chip and depending on which white one you're looking at, the black one also has a different DVD drive which allows DVD write. The black one also has an 80GB hard drive compared to 60GB for the white ones. Also, Macs only get fewer viruses, etc if you run the Mac OS. If you run both Windows and Mac OS, you will still be susceptible to virus attack when you're using Windows just like any other PC.

If you only want to use e-mail, surf the web, office and multi-media, I suggest you use the Mac OS. The standard email program called Mail is much more user-friendly and powerful in filtering spam than Outlook Express. But if you have to have an MS product, you can use Entourage. The web browser Safari is faster and again more user-friendly than Explorer. You can also use Firefox but I've found it slower than Safari.

Good luck with your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by ayukobaby
    oh thanks alot for all the professional advice. Actually as I said im a computer idiot haha so im not a heavy user at all. What I need it for is very simple stuff like msn, simple games, internet, office and some multi media work for personal interest. Since macbook can run windows as well, i think i can achieve everything i want. and the bugs free thing is a big merit to me coz those adware or other virus on pc is a pain in the arse.
    i think i might get a macbook but im torn between white or black color. ive heard that white macbook will stain to a bit yellow but is it true that the new slot of macbooks in market dun have that problem coz they fixed the problem already? i personally love black so much but its almost $3000 more expensive than the white one. ....thats giving me headache!!

but u'd of course have to adapt to the whole new set of procedures and keystrokes.. and if u need to switch between office and home it might be quite a nuisance for the first few weeks...

hi applefan,

im actually using ibook now and thats why i wanna get a macbook hehe i know black macbook has better config, but that dun actually bothers me coz the speed is not much different and i dun need to burn dvds.

hey so applefan, do u have any recommendation for books that i can get to learn all those cool functions of macbook? i know i can learn by just playing with it but i dun wanna miss out some cool functions. so any book that is suitable for newbie to read?

thx

Im not saying Macs expensive........
    Not you, it was FlamingToad who said they were more expensive.

There are loads of websites which are better than books as they have tutorials and you can bookmark them so when you forget a keystroke/shortcut etc you can just look it up!

As Lammarite said, there are lots of cool websites that have great tips. However, if you are already using an ibook, shouldn't you already be familiar with the mac? Or am I missing something? I too had an ibook before I bought my MBP in February...

hi applefan,

im actually using ibook now and thats why i wanna get a macbook hehe i know black macbook has better config, but that dun actually bothers me coz the speed is not much different and i dun need to burn dvds.

hey so applefan, do u have any recommendation for books that i can get to learn all those cool functions of macbook? i know i can learn by just playing with it but i dun wanna miss out some cool functions. so any book that is suitable for newbie to read?

thx

I agree whole-heartedly that macs are not more expensive if you compare, well, Apples to Apples...no pun intended. If you want the same specs on a PC, it would end up costing you the same or more. Walt Mossberg at the WSJ actually did a comparison a few months ago.

Also, on the issue of fewer software, there are mac versions of programs that most consumers use. Yes, on the gaming side, there are probably fewer but it has everything that an average consumer would want to have. Office, e-mail, web browsing, picture, video and other media programs as well as things like Quicken. It's truly plug and play and no need to download drivers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite
    Not you, it was FlamingToad who said they were more expensive.

There are loads of websites which are better than books as they have tutorials and you can bookmark them so when you forget a keystroke/shortcut etc you can just look it up!

One of the biggest pains on the MacBook is having 2 USB ports on the same side right next to eachother. The PowerBook has them on either side.
    I have a USB Mighty Mouse but as I'm right handed have to run the cable round the back which doesn't leave much play in the cable.

Yeah the black macbook may be more expensive but it is not because of the additional 20GB. If u add that to the whote one, the white one will still be cheaper. You are jus paying for the colour because the black has a different texture on the outer casing. Also macs are kickass because of the new intel chips. As said in the adverts "it's the only computer you need" because it can do everything a windows can. And also I recommedn if you intend to run both operating systems you give the macbook the works and split the drive exactyl 50/50.

If your want reliability/productivity just get a ThnkPad. Personally I see Apples as flimsy products better left on the desk than something that is truly portable and useable without porting in all that MSFT software. Walk into any Starbucks in the US and you see wannabe writers and chicks posting their photos on myspace with Apples. Nothing wrong with that but seems like a toy to me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast