is macbook good?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by punk
    Have you gotten past this annoying mac issue? Can you play ALL dvds using VLC. I've found it to be a crap shoot, where all dvds cannot play on it...
    Actually Punk, I haven't used my Powerbook to play non-native DVDs in a while. So having read your post I tried playing Region 1 & 2 DVDs on my (now) Region 3 Powerbook. Neither VLC nor DVD Player (obviously) plays them!

This wasn't always the case though. When I first got my Powerbook in London, it was Region 2. I had read that VLC plays all DVDs, so I installed it, and yes it did! It played Region 1 & 3 discs perfectly, whilst DVD Player required you to change the region setting.

I had a quick look online at a few of the forums earlier. It appears that it's not VLC that has changed. But, the updates to QuickTime Player, and indeed OS X, have managed to block VLC's ability to circumvent regional coding.

So unless future versions of VLC can again bypass the region lock, I'm not sure what other ways around it there are.

If you have an IntelMac, and run XP on it, and have a DVD player too, then you could try a program called DVD Region + CSS Free. On my HP laptop it works perfectly to unblock regional coding and even bypasses FBI warnings/Dolby Trailers/Trailers to get you to the menu straight away. I can't see any reason it won't work on an IntelMac.

CrouchingDonkey

Have you tried running the 'Region X' utility? If your drive has RPC1 firmware then that should fix your issue with VLC - at least it does for me when accessing my external Pioneer DVD drive (which is RPC1). The Mac Mini's internal Matshita drive is a no-hoper - i've set it to Region 2 which represents most of my disk collection from the UK. Anything else goes in the Pioneer.

Note you can get 2nd hand Pioneer slot-load drives that can be made multiregion (well RPC1 firmware anyway) in the little shop opposite the New Vision Mac centre in 298 Hennessey - one of the few places i've seen them.

Phil

Hi PhilE,

Thanks for the advice.

To be honest I'm not that bothered about watching 'foreign' DVDs on my Powerbook, as most of my collection is still in the UK. And I have a DVD player that's multi-region for the odd discs that are 'foreign'. But it would be nice to have the option! So I'll definitely check it out. Although my internal DVD drive is also the Matshita.

Quote Originally Posted by ayukobaby
    im just thinking of getting a macbook n wanna get some professional advice whether its a good toy to buy or not.
    im thinkin a macbook s gud toi n i wud buy one if u wan professional advice u can pay me

Quote Originally Posted by PhilE
    CrouchingDonkey

Have you tried running the 'Region X' utility? If your drive has RPC1 firmware then that should fix your issue with VLC - at least it does for me when accessing my external Pioneer DVD drive (which is RPC1). The Mac Mini's internal Matshita drive is a no-hoper - i've set it to Region 2 which represents most of my disk collection from the UK. Anything else goes in the Pioneer.

Note you can get 2nd hand Pioneer slot-load drives that can be made multiregion (well RPC1 firmware anyway) in the little shop opposite the New Vision Mac centre in 298 Hennessey - one of the few places i've seen them.
    Phil
    I have a 17" Powerbook, and couldn't find the Region X utility. I'd like to avoid buying an external as I prefer avoiding owning extraneous things. The drive you refer to is an internal for a desktop, yeah? Is there a software option, or should I go to New Vision? I guess VLC works with the drive you mention? Thanks so much, Phil...

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingDonkey
    I had a quick look online at a few of the forums earlier. It appears that it's not VLC that has changed. But, the updates to QuickTime Player, and indeed OS X, have managed to block VLC's ability to circumvent regional coding.

So unless future versions of VLC can again bypass the region lock, I'm not sure what other ways around it there are.
    What if you remove new Quicktime and install an older version? Or perhaps it will run on OS9 Quicktime?

punk - check out the RPC-1 firmware forums for Macs here and see if your drive has an RPC-1 patch available.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewforum.php?f=30

Region X links here (makes sure you get the correct one - Power PC or Intel)

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?...ghlight=region

Of course, do all this at your own risk - I've never had a problem flashing CD or DVD drives under Windows, but you do hear horror stories.

I read somewhere that the drives in Powerbooks/ Mac Book Pros are slimmer than even the slot load drives in Mac Minis but I might be wrong. Am certain the guy who lives in the shop I mentioned opposite New Vision in 298 will know though - there were some secondhand Pioneer K04 slot loaders (think thats the model number) in his window earlier this week.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilE
    punk - check out the RPC-1 firmware forums for Macs here and see if your drive has an RPC-1 patch available.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewforum.php?f=30

Region X links here (makes sure you get the correct one - Power PC or Intel)

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?...ghlight=region

Of course, do all this at your own risk - I've never had a problem flashing CD or DVD drives under Windows, but you do hear horror stories.

I read somewhere that the drives in Powerbooks/ Mac Book Pros are slimmer than even the slot load drives in Mac Minis but I might be wrong. Am certain the guy who lives in the shop I mentioned opposite New Vision in 298 will know though - there were some secondhand Pioneer K04 slot loaders (think thats the model number) in his window earlier this week.
    Thanks. I'll look into it...

Quote Originally Posted by punk
    What if you remove new Quicktime and install an older version? Or perhaps it will run on OS9 Quicktime?
    I doubt this will work somehow. And even if you did, it could create problems for when you want to use QuickTime. I'm not sure about the OS9 option either - I've never used it.

Best bet is to try what PhilE has suggested. Failing that, I'm sure the VLC guys will come up with a workaround in a future version. Good luck!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5