is macbook good?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

is macbook good?

im just thinking of getting a macbook n wanna get some professional advice whether its a good toy to buy or not.

Macs might look pretty and all but they are not really business machines.

why? wat do u mean by that? i think it is pretty user friendly and i like those multi media functions. and i buy it for personal use, not abt biz. wat do u think abt macs then?

Quote Originally Posted by MotoHK
    Macs might look pretty and all but they are not really business machines.

As my user name suggests, I'm a huge Apple fan. I'm writing this from my MacBook Pro. I'm a finance professional and I've had no issues running almost everything I need for work on my Mac. With that said, my Mac is my personal computer and I usually do most of my work on my PC laptop that my company gave me. I also want to add that our quant group which runs gigantic and complicated models opted to use PowerBook because it was more powerful and more flexible. If you use it a lot for media, it's great and very easy to use. I even use mine to record TV shows so I can watch them on long-haul flights.

Lightbulb Macs have their strong points

It all depends on what you wish to do with your computer. Over the years Macs have been strong in the video and multimedia arena, but fell far short on the gaming side. That is, of course, not to mention that they are generally more expensive than their PC counterparts. PC's will have more software available to use due to the larger market of PC's, but that vast selection of software by many different vendors...(Microsoft)...also invites more bugs and crashes, which affect Macs less frequently.

So, if you are looking for a stable video editing machine. Go Mac.
    If you are looking for a gaming machine or want to try out a lot of different kinds of software. Go PC.
    If you are surfing the web and doing spreadsheets. It is a toss-up.

The new macbooks can run Windows natively if you work for a company still stuck in that world. With the software parallels you can run Windows, Linux and the MacOS all at the same time, which is pretty nice. The new version of Parallels due out soon will have greater directx support for those who insist on it for gaming.

I am almost entirely Mac at the desktop and laptop level, and have LINUX and FreeBSD boxes at colocation farms around the US. I have one windows machine around in case I ever come across something that I need a windows machine for, but I will be trashing it shortly when I buy a spare Intel mac that will do both. I don't have much need for a Windows machine really.

Now, as for your question about the macbook, there are a few reports that the white macbooks will 'stain' to a bit of a yellowish color. The issue now is what to buy--the new macbooks really rival the macbook pros that are on the market--if you are looking at a pro you should consider the cheaper (though slightly less function) macbook. That being said, I suspect a macbook pro upgrade shortly (possibly this week) so you might want to wait a bit.

I guess the real question is 'what do you need a computer for?' If the answer is email, web, basic office stuff, a few games, then a Mac is more than fine. If you are saying 'advanced gaming, connecting directly into my offices proprietary windows environment, running hyper-unique programs related to my work" well then you will need to assess your needs relative to what exists for each platform.

Computers are tools. They each have their own uses. Arguing about Macs vs Windows sometimes gets as silly as arguing about flat or Phillips head screws--which is better, when both get the job done.

oh thanks alot for all the professional advice. Actually as I said im a computer idiot haha so im not a heavy user at all. What I need it for is very simple stuff like msn, simple games, internet, office and some multi media work for personal interest. Since macbook can run windows as well, i think i can achieve everything i want. and the bugs free thing is a big merit to me coz those adware or other virus on pc is a pain in the arse.
    i think i might get a macbook but im torn between white or black color. ive heard that white macbook will stain to a bit yellow but is it true that the new slot of macbooks in market dun have that problem coz they fixed the problem already? i personally love black so much but its almost $3000 more expensive than the white one. ....thats giving me headache!!

OK, I stand corrected. Like everyone else, I always thought MAC's were for writers and video people or college kids. Touchy feely poets rather than quant jocks so to speak.

I have the MacBook and can recommend it heartily. I run Mac:Office on it so can run Excel/Word/PPT etc just as easily as on a PC.
    I would also say that price-wise it isn't more expensive. You get more for your dollar and they don't come in at a low spec. If you think Macs are expensive then you obviously haven't had a good look at a Mac mini.
    My wife was worried about switching over to a Mac but now finds it really easy to flit around and do anything she wants. OSX is such a simple OS to convert to and widgets make a lot of basic reference work simple as.

Im not saying Macs expensive. I was just comparing the white and black macbook. i want to get a laptop so mac mini wont be my choice. I love all those functions in mac and no doubt i prefer it way more than pc, esp when u can also run Windows in mac. the widgets are one of the many cool functions i like about mac.
    i guess somehow i've already made a decision. hehe id say black macbook haha its $3000 more expensive but it got 20GB more memory n no stain problem. and most importantly, it just looks more cool

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast