Noise canceling headsets for MTR travel

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by migao:
    From above suggestions (thanks to you alll!) it seems that Sennheiser PX200 could do the job for me at a reasonable price, I'm neither too fond of the in-ear models.
    I have tried the PX200 before too. Make sure your mp3 player has an ability the boost the bass because when I used it, it seemed kinda weak. And also because of my glasses, the fit wasn't quite there. Has a crazy long cord too, I returned it and got the Senn HD280.
    If you don't have glasses, Senn HD212 or EH250 is great. I sold my HD212 to a friend because it is supraaural and it pinches really tight.

Has anyone tried the new Bose v.3 headphones?

Not sure if I'm too late for this ...

Quote Originally Posted by esque:
    Hi, I too would like to get some noise cancelling headphones, mostly to reduce the sound of people talking on the bus. Sometimes they're so loud it hurts.

Can someone suggest a good place to buy them in HK? I'm not looking for the in-ear ones, just the ones that cover over the ears with some noise cancelling would be great. I don't care at all about the quality of sound played, as I'd rather just have a slightly more peaceful ride.
    but better late than never .. I spotted some ear phones in Fortress - noise reduction for about $360. There is in ear and ones that just go over the ears with the brand being Phillips. Has anyone tried these? My friend has a pair but not Phillips but it did seem to make all the difference when we were on the plane.

As what was said - noise-cancelling devices work on noise with constant frequency. Like the jet engines, or other machine-generated sounds. Doesn't work as good for people talking or baby crying.

But still, better than nothing!

(owner of a Philips 110)

In HK, it is all about noise isolation, not noise cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedFates:
    In HK, it is all about noise isolation, not noise cancellation.

I have not heard that before. Does it work with head phones or is it just a dream for the future?

Noise cancellation works, just as long as the noise is regular and therefore predictable. The predictable noise is inverted and added (= subtracted). There is no way unpredictable noise can be removed.

I find IEMs, I use Shure E2s (there are many better) work well. When I take them out on a plane, or extended use on the MTR, I notice the sound they are blocking is like heavy rain on a tin roof. They do achieve quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma:
    I have not heard that before. Does it work with head phones or is it just a dream for the future?
    Sure. Sealed closed ear head phones are noise isolating. Of course you may not want to travel with those, so noise isolating buds like Shure are the best bed. Even those cheap sony things will do more justice than noise cancellation mumbo jumbo will do in HK. I was never a fan of noise cancellation.

Each KCR train has two silent compartments, but do you think somebody gives a sh*t about it? It seems Honkers or Chinese in general cannot close their mouth for a single minute (no offense meant).

Last edited by Azuremain; 16-11-2006 at 11:22 PM.

I use Philips hn060 in ear phones retail A$80. Would agree with the comments before the noise is cancelled a bit from the ear plugs then maybe 10-20 db by the noise cancellation. You do get a bit of white noise but not sure if this is the noise of the electronics or effect of the cancellation. They fit in the pocket and are great on planes and for the price a great buy.