Bittorrent speeds on netvigator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thanks for the tipoff KIA - I got the registration screen up just now but by the time i'd completed the fields, there were no memberships left again! Oh well, will keep trying for a couple of friends...

KIA. I thought I would share my latest experiences with Bitcomet. 0.70 All of a sudeen I've found that it is opening so many UDP "connections" that the firewall is running out of memory and chocking the internet connection.

It just started to do this on Win2k on Win98 it is well behaved.

hk.com -- thats also a problem with some linksys routers which keep the NAT connection table in memory for upto 7 days.

Anyways, I figured my problem was with peer guardian.

Things have sort of returned to normal after I've uninstalled peerguardian and done a fresh reinstall of azureus.

Let me turn of UDP connections and see if things get any better.

I see that these new Bit torrent can do far higher throughputs by holding far more virtually concurrent connections (UDP based, NO TPC), with more peers. On a PC which has got a tonne of memory and a load of CPU this is fine.

If you have got a decent stateful firewall that allows good transversal, the Bittorrent clients seem to flood routers the ram. I see lots of posts out there with a similar issue. I can't even see nor have the time/patience to see how many sessions (dynamic ACL) are being added to the firewall table. All I know is that each ACL takes a few bytes and right now they eat up 1.6MB of RAM. So I think the ACL list must run into the thousands.

What I am going to try is to reduce the expiring of the ACLs to something a bit faster. I think I have it set to 20 minutes. The other option is get a bigger Cisco box and max out the ram on it.

carang: another search site to use is http://www.torrentspy.com/

just type in the program title, download the torrent file, open it and check your transfers window in your bit torrent client - it should begin downloading.

or www.torrentbox.com

similar sort of thing.

Read the comments about the torrents as you tend to get more duff stuff on these public sites.

Quote Original Post:
    Anyways, I figured my problem was with peer guardian.

Things have sort of returned to normal after I've uninstalled peerguardian and done a fresh reinstall of azureus.
    Just a thought, KIA.

You probably know but by default PeerGuardian creates log files - and these can grow huge in not much time at all. Could that have been the reason for your system degradation?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3