1010 HSDPA offering ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1010 HSDPA offering ...

Has anyone looked at their service or tried comparing it to Smartone's service?

Seems to be tied into the phone.. not sure how bad the locking is (both contractually or SIM locks).

One good thing I see, is, the WiFi package is built in...

The contract deal for the Dopod 838 Pro looks tempting - 5388 plus 138/month for 60MB/month.

I've emailed them to check if you're locked into that device or if you can remove the SIM and swap it into a new phone in a couple of months.

12 months lock on any device is way too much ...

Sounds like buying talk!

Nah .. the folks over at SmarTone will not forgive me.

They've been good to us.

why smartone? they are so limited in what you can do. they say unlimited but it really isn't. Are they not suppose to be competing with wiMax before it gets lauched by pccw in hk? I'm using 3 vpn for the same price, slower but it's only a matter of weeks before 3 also jumps to HSDPA. On top 3 gives a free pci card with unlimited bandwith.

Vodaphone unless they change is not really a mobile broadband.

>> Vodaphone unless they change is not really a mobile broadband.

Unfortunately, neither is 1010 after having read through what they call "acceptable usage".

Three ... lets see. I sort of doubt they'd come up with anything revolutionary ... never know, they have the benefit of knowing what people are saying about the existing rollouts.

Mobile operators all over the world are way too conservative and unfortunately in Hong Kong they are still stuck in a rather backwards world of limiting users with contracts and lock ins.. rather than setting them loose.

3 Hong Kong, a subsidiary of Hutchison Telecommunications (Hong Kong) Limited, has become the first 3G operator in Hong Kong to announce the completion of a field trial of High Speed Downlink Packet Access ("HSDPA") on UMTS ("3G") network. The Company announced today that it has commissioned its trial partner and existing 3G network supplier NEC to immediately commence HSDPA rollout in Hong Kong. This initiative once again reinforces the Company's commitment to ensuring that its 500,000 plus 3G customers will be ready to enjoy even better video quality and a broader range of multimedia mobile communications, as soon as the HSDPA compatible mobile devices are available.

3 Hong Kong's HSDPA-enabled 3G network will be able to reach the data transferred rates of up to 14.4Mbps. This means that ultimately subscribers can download a typical movie clip or an interactive game with approximately 38 times the speed of current 3G speeds.

Amy Lung, Commercial Director - Consumer Market of 3 Hong Kong, said, "3 Hong Kong is once again charting the course of development for 3G in Hong Kong. With the successful trial and imminent network rollout, we are well positioned to be the first to provide 3 Hong Kong's supporters with a highly enhanced mobile communications experience, once the HSDPA compatible devices become available. In this significant stage of development, we are pleased to be partnering our existing 3G network supplier NEC, who is recognized throughout the industry for its proven expertise and global experience in deploying 3G and HSDPA technology."

Toshiyuki Mineno, Senior General Manager of NEC's Carrier Solutions Business Unit, said, "NEC has been working closely with Hutchison on a wide range of business projects worldwide, including the launch of 3 Hong Kong's advanced 3G network. We are pleased to see this fruitful collaboration being extended into the deployment of NEC's HSDPA technology on 3 Hong Kong's 3G network. We are ready to deliver our HSDPA to 3 Hong Kong's commercial network and are confident that its customers will enjoy enriched and high speed mobile services."

At today's press conference 3 Hong Kong performed a live HSDPA demonstration over its 3G network. The configuration for this live demonstration was the same as the one used for the live field trials conducted by 3 Hong Kong and NEC over the past three months. Based on NEC's HSDPA infrastructure and with a 1.8Mbps HSDPA enabled data-card, 3 Hong Kong demonstrated a successful HSDPA download of an animation-embedded file and high quality video clip streaming through a laptop computer. About five-time speed improvement was shown when compared with the current 3G speeds, as well as enhanced video image quality.

3 Hong Kong's HSDPA enabled network will be ready in the third quarter of 2006. The Company intends to launch HSDPA commercially, once the HSDPA-enabled handsets and devices are available in the market.

>> we are well positioned to be the first to provide 3 Hong Kong's supporters with a highly enhanced mobile communications experience

First? After Smartone and 1010 from the looks of it .. I cant find anything on three.com.hk about a commercially available HSDPA service.

Thats an old press release from April.

Better yet, if you have a link to their terms and conditions, I'd like to look at it, given that I am in conversations with their ad agency about a few other issues.

terms and conditions can not be found

I am using the plan right now and i get charged 488 hkdollars and everymonth i use up to 20gigs of bandwith with 384kbs just traveling on trains or drinking coffee at starbucks or pcc. Just go ask them. I wouldn't have got this plan if i didn't get "REAL unlimited downloads." I can wait for the HSDPA and once it's here 3's plan would be the best plan.

If not there is always WiMax to be launched I hear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast