Power transformer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You can't really go wrong with these. It's just a transformer in a box. 300 VA models are easy enough to find. The "Super" brand seem well made. As previous posters mention, these can be bought on Apliu Street. I bought mine at Hung Kwong Shopping Arcade on Tung Choi Street. 150 VA for $135 - housed in metal enclosure with fuse and overlaod protection (some kind of relay). I bought another for travel. 100 VA (step up/step down) in a plastic enclosure for $80.

Don't connect motors (hairdryers, vacuum cleaners )to these things unless you know what you are doing.

Thumbs down "In Love" with your 110 Volt equipment???

It seems to me that one **REALLY** has to be "In Love" with one's equipment to "Carry Coals to Newcastle" !!!

Not only can it get damaged in transit - as apparently happened to someone's computer set-up recently - but up to the minute NEW equipment *HAS* to work in HK - shipping stuff in that ONLY works on 110 Volts and may be "stuck" on NTSC mode - well it's as good as a "Boat Anchor" here!

Shipping multi-mode/multi-voltage equipment **TO** North America makes far more sense than the other way round. It ain't been stung by local HK taxes.

North American taxes both regional & national, are irrecoverable if one ships FROM North America!

Quote Originally Posted by connecta:
    apparently, at least exactly the "style b" transformer of one of the above links is available in electronics shops sham shui po, if not even all models are available here. not everything is made in USA only because they sell them there there are plenty of good good engineers in the USA, but it doesn't mean that after R&D they wouldn't produce them cheaper elsewhere - e.g. in china.
    Oh, sure, I realise all this stuff is probably made in China anyway. I've just found it rather frustrating not being able to find exactly what I want out here, even though I know it's made just over the border. I'm about to buy a Taiwanese mountain bike, and it's going to arrive in HK via either North American or Europe. Crazy.

Good to know that it doesn't stand true for transformers (though I don't need them here myself).
    Last edited by jgl; 30-09-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Transformers are available in HK for upto 1500W. I know because I bought one. There is a small shop in Times Square that sells, among other things, transformers also. They have all sizes and capacities. My TV is hooked on to it always. It has not caused any problem till now. We also have our XBox 360 plugged into the same transformer. That is not the real problem, however. If your TV is from the US, you need to check if it can run on PAL as well as NTSC. If not, you won't be able to connect to the cable or TV channels in HK. So, I'd say check your TV first.

That being said, transporting plasma TVs is a risky business. They tend to damage easily.

Last edited by shwetapershad; 01-10-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oman Mercenary:
    It seems to me that one **REALLY** has to be "In Love" with one's equipment to "Carry Coals to Newcastle" !!!

Not only can it get damaged in transit - as apparently happened to someone's computer set-up recently - but up to the minute NEW equipment *HAS* to work in HK - shipping stuff in that ONLY works on 110 Volts and may be "stuck" on NTSC mode - well it's as good as a "Boat Anchor" here!

Shipping multi-mode/multi-voltage equipment **TO** North America makes far more sense than the other way round. It ain't been stung by local HK taxes.

North American taxes both regional & national, are irrecoverable if one ships FROM North America!
    Yeay, but why would you sell your stuff (for nothing) and buy new stuff if your employer is going to pay for shipping?

Who **REALLY** needs a "Boat Anchor" ?

Who **REALLY** needs a "Boat Anchor" ? [If it isn't compatable with HK standards - like absolutely needing a 220 Volt to 110 Volt transformer as a start - let alone finding out that it is Never The Same Color twice NTSC which is pretty well useless with HK's version of Phase Alternating Line - PAL system.]

Yeah as shwetapershad said you can get them. I`ve been using the 1000watt one for about a year. Cost me about 140USD. i don`t care whether thats a good price as i run my pc, printer, dvd player and my fiancees twin decks, mixers and wot not through it constantly. Not one hitch ever. its about a 30*25*20cm box and i haven`t noticed any noise. (weighs a fair bit though!) Sorry..can:t remember the make as its in transit to my new apartment. If you still need to know in 10 days..i`ll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by FightingIrish:
    Hi, Guys,

I am moving to Hong Kong,. This forum gave me a lot of useful information. Now I have question to ask.

I love my home entertainment center here in US. I wonder that I can find power transformer to use my US home entertainment system in Hong Kong?

Major items would be a Plasma TV, a receiver and a speaker systems and the total power requirement should be about 700W or 800W.

I hope there is a way to work this out. Thank you, guys!
    I have seen the high power transformer 220->110 with 2500W power rating cost around HKD$700 at Shamshuipo Apliu Street