network folders missing

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Scrap windows, run Linux and build a redundant backup system.
    Cheap, reliable, secure and once its up and running its hassle free unless Mr two thumbs comes around and starts poking in something thats not his buisness.
    But even so if you where running windows in such an instant it would probably be even worse :P

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:
    Scrap windows, run Linux and build a redundant backup system.
    Cheap, reliable, secure and once its up and running its hassle free unless Mr two thumbs comes around and starts poking in something thats not his buisness.
    But even so if you where running windows in such an instant it would probably be even worse :P
    How about all the kernel updates and patches ... we've got a box and my guys seems to be updating the kernel at least once every week?

A valid question, but Kernels are actually not a big problem. If you use synaptics you just have to set it up once and never ever touch it again.
    It will install automaticaly, and run update checks without you having to lift a finger.
    Also linux can patch its system while running and without restarting.. unlike MS win.

Besides id say that there are way more critical updates and patches for MS then there are for linux.. most of the time the kernel updates are optional.

I sort of agree. They should *not* be patching kernels unless there are performance issues... but then we're digressing from the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Morlich:
    We've had similar problems in our office as well, where folders and files disappear or are moved. Mostly it's the users clicking of dragging by mistake.
    Done that once or twice myself - way too easy if your PC is a bit sluggish for some reason. You think you clicked, Windows decides you dragged...

Try a search of other folders on the network drive - you never know.

Otherwise I'd say someone simply deleted them, accidentally or otherwise.