Reinstalled Windows C: drive has become I: drive!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If you have a Ghost boot floppy then use it to copy C to D then install XP onto C. If you don't pm me.

my computer is the same as yours (brand new computer and installed Window XP Media Center Edition)
    **my OS is in the D: (40GB) and C: is 100GB

you just need to ignore it (and get use to it)...it won't have problem

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    If you have a Ghost boot floppy then use it to copy C to D then install XP onto C. If you don't pm me.
    Hi DB

Not sure I understand what you mean by copy c to d

Ghost can copy a partition to another area of disk as it is without compressing. Usually Ghost will be used to copy a partition to a compressed image file in another partition or another drive. So copy your data partition C to D (overwriting D in the process), then install XP into C and that should make you a lot more happier.

Hi Db

Yeah, could do that, but where do I store the large ghost image that I would be creating? Better off just to format the whole disk, no? Which is what I was hoping to avoid.

No you would not be using Ghost to create an image file but rather to copy a partition in its entirety from C to D. I was under the impression that C contains just personal data.

Cheers DiscoBay

I spent the morning going through all my crap and managed to delete a few Gig, burn a bit to DVD and move a bit to some space on older machines.

Nuked the partition and started from scratch (although I had great fun as my old Windows disk wouldn't read properly, but managed to sort that out in the end).

BUT this has still left me with the problem whereby the machine just resets for no reason from time to time. It has done it twice in the last hour. Driving me nuts.

It never does it if I am not using it, only when I go to launch an app, put in a URL, click on another window.... It sort of freezes for a second and then resets.

I have just updated my graphics drivers to see if that helps. The machine is only a couple of months old but we shall see.

Any other ideas anyone? If it continues I think I will have the case open and check to see if any connections are loose. What a pain.

Is POST set to test the RAM? - make sure it is. Check the RAM is seated properly and if in doubt remove and replace. Get memtest onto a bootable floppy and test the RAM on boot up.
    Another possibility is insufficient power. Do you have a lot of peripherals attached and if so what is the output of your psu?

Created a boot cd with memtest and left it running overnight. Sure enough red screen full of errors. Looks like I may have found the issue.

Do I take the RAM chips back to ICE Computer where I bought the PC?

Sure if they are under warranty and you kept the receipt.