A few questions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

uuh yeah forgott that is a notebook we are talking about hehe.
    So in this case compressed air can be quiet handy.
    The fans are usualy the standard 4" low profile fans that you can find in SHam sui po, mong kok and such.
    Though if your not handy with electronics i agree with Oman that you should take it to a repairshop for replacement of the fan.

No no, its a desktop we are talking about - sorry if I confused you guys!

I'm thinking to either clean out the fan myself (but am nervous, as I'm a relative newb) or just call up Dell (the manufacturer) and ask them to do it.

What do you guys think?

clean fan

If a desktop then using air will only spread the contamination if you use air.

The fan is usally detachable ( see the motherboard manual that came with the machine ). Detach the fan assebly and clean the blades with a cottonbud dipped in alchol ( Not Jack Daniels , the clear stuff you can get in Watsons ) . This will clear the deposit and the grease that adheres it.
    Re attach and its done.

If the noise persists then its the bearings and most of the board suppliers in the markets will have replacements based upon the socket type.
    Very easy.

If you insist on air the some people have small areosols with a small tube to get into those hard to reach places. However unless you remove the grease layer it will quickly build up again.

All the computer fans I've ever examined have "stick-on" adhesive labels on them. I just ease 'em up with a sharp blade and insert some grease into the bearings and cover the hole up again - till the next time I'm delving inside the case to track down noises. Anyway, it's a good idea to remove the side panels & check that the CPU *&* the videoboard fan (if fitted) is whizzing around.... And NO - you don't stick a finger in to check - the computer doesn't require any blood transfusions!.

Anyway, if the computer is still under warranty - and under "Home Service" as opposed to "You gotta haul it in to our service dept" - then call out the Dell service people. Cleaning up a computer fan is little difference to cleaning up the blades on a "keep me cool" floor-standing fan.

If you can inject graphite grease - not too much - into the bearing, it'll last for a looooooong time.

Me?

I can't find a source of graphite grease!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2