Is Apple service always this lousy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Apple service always this lousy?

What is the customary length of time needed to complete a basic repair on a laptop? My Powerbook has been at the service centre since August 29 and I'm starting to get pretty outraged by the delay. I brought it in for a seemingly minor problem - the latch didn't shut properly. I called the Apple hotline about the problem in mid-August and was told my notebook was still covered by Applecare. But when I brought it into the centre at Times Square, I was told by the agent that the repair was not covered and would cost $1600. I called Apple againt to verify, was told that it should be covered and was given a case number that was supposed to pre-authorize the repair.

Not wanting to give that centre any business, I took it to the other one in Hang Lung Centre. I got the same story from the agent there, who said that because of a minor dent on one corner of the bottom case, the latch repair would not be covered. I gave her my case number and informed her that it was already approved by Apple. Two weeks passed, then someone from the centre called me with a quote of $1400 for the repair. She had no knowledge of the authorization and told me to call Apple myself to obtain another "exemption code". I got the damn code for her and was told the repair should take 7-10 days.

Two more weeks passed and no word from the centre. I called to enquire but could only reach a voicemail box through their godawful phone menu. No one returned my message for 4 days. I called again and this time got a message that the voicemail box is full. I then faxed them a note, asking for the status of my repair and CC'd Apple. That was 1 week ago and still no word from anyone!

I'm beginning to feel I have to go to the centre and throw a tantrum. But what a waste of time...

Last edited by grandcider; 13-10-2006 at 01:35 AM.

I recommend the tantrum.

My Powerbook had a major problem in that it wouldn't turn on and sometimes took 30-40 attempts so it was sent for repair and returned 6 weeks later but not fixed. So I went with a guy from work to Times Square, we called first to warn we were coming and wanted it fixed while we waited. We got the run around at first and demanded that they give us a replacement if they couldn't fix it straight away and also asked them to call Apple which is located on another floor of the building because their service was so poor and then when we said we would visit Apple ourselves they smartened up a bit. So it was agreed that they would try and fix it while we went to lunch and if they couldn't they would arrange a loaner computer. So we went for what we planned to be a long lunch and what do you know 35minutes later we get a call to say it is fixed. 6 weeks and a tantrum and it only took 35 mins to fix.

I called the Apple hotline to complain... the rep look up my case and said that a replacement part had been ordered on Oct 11, so it shouldn't be much longer. That's only 44 days after I brought it in!
    I have to say their telephone support people (based in Australia?) are always very professional, but when you go to the local service centre, it's a horror story. It's also not fun waiting behind 20 people bringing their iPods for repair.

I'm suprised you had this problem. I actually was pleasantly suprised by how quickly my iBook was returned after I took it in to CASE in Times Square for repair. They had it back to me with new HDD and all data restored etc in less than 1 week. Maybe I was just lucky

i've had a lot of good experiences with CASE as well... but now a new repair centre has popped up called BAD (lol what a name!) and some friends i know have had their stuff repaired there and they said it's much better than CASE.

BAD = Brilliant Ascent Development Ltd., the place I'm having problems with. It is impossible to reach anyone through their hotline and they don't return messages either. Worse still, their phone menu features a non-native English speaker narrating instructions at an excruciatingly slow pace.

lol then i guess the do live up to their name... hahaha!

have you tried CASE?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Sorry........ I digress....

I mean yes, it really, truly and whole heartedly is "that lousy". I had a wife once who fell under the spell of "Apple elitism" and swore upside down and sideways by those awful machines......

Thankfully I never fell under that spell myself and I always had access to help and a much larger vareity and choice in software. I am very happy to say I have since upgraded to a new and improved wife without the MAC Elitist virus in her.....

Thank goodness for that too.

Sorry you are having problems, but next time do some reading on sites other than the typical "I love my apple soooooo much" sites and you will see you are not alone in your problems.....

just my 2 cents...

sirant

I am definitly a PC girl - I only use a Mac because my work insists but I certainly don't love it - I do think I am resistant to learning though because I have had so many problems as per my post above plus USB ports that sometimes decide not to work, files that won't save or that I do not have the priviledges to delete etc.

Anyway my experience was with CASE who almost never answer the phone. When we went there it was pretty quite but they did have one of those take a ticket and watch the screen for your number systems which indicated to me that queues were to be expected.

Good Luck. Personally I'm considering having my Mac take a nasty fall off the 21st floor so I can start again. Gotta say though you can't beat Keynote, far superior to Powerpoint, still a bit quirky but the result looks so good.

Dude, that's a great title. Yes, Apple service is famous around the world for being lousy and arrogant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast