dvd player on computer won't play local dvds

Closed Thread

dvd player on computer won't play local dvds

The dvd player in the computer I brought along from the US of course won't play local dvds. Is there any way to convert it?

Possibly. Find out the make and model of the DVD drive and search for a software patch/repair for it that will allow it to change its factory region coding from 1 to 3 or better still 0 (no region coding).

thanks. it's definitely worth a try

Try using VLC media player

You should be prompted to change the region code on your dvd player when you try to play a region 3 dvd.

In Windows XP control panel, go to "System", then under the "Hardware" tab, go to "Device Manager", you should see your specific DVD drive model, and then right click and choose "Properties". Click on the "DVD Region" tab, and then you should see a list of regions. Choose Hong Kong, and then save the changes. Be careful though, as you are only allowed to change back and forth between Region 1 and 3 a few times, and then it gets locked up. I think you are allowed to change regions 3 times, but im not positive.

Hope that helps.

Here is what I suggest:

Just rip your DVD (they are a number of freewares for that) and make it playable in any zone. After you will be able to watch it on your computer.

As long as you own the orginal DVD you are not breaking any law.

Or just buy anydvd (the program) and it will play without ripping or anything.

But i agree with Disco, find tha brand and model and download an RPC 2 firmware patch, just remember that when you patch your drive, it will void any warranty you might have.

Just checked in & found addl replies. thanks. will explore them. re firmware, though, I think this particular player has none such. but will recheck it also.