Broadband allowing multiple PC/laptop simultaneous access

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Router "Always Logged on"

Well, one does have to set up the router before use.

Most often by typing something like http://192.168.1.1 --- & that gets you to the opening screen of the router.... and there's usually "Help Screens" available too.

Just be aware that after inputting the correct 192........ number, I have always found that it takes a looooooong time for the first screen to appear - it's a bit of a shock the first few times I set up a router!

At the very least you have to input your e'mail address and password & save it before rebooting the router.

That ISP Login stays there in the router until you change it, and you never have to do any manual login to your ISP ever again.

Sensible persons also use whatever encryption method it has available to "Scramble" the TX/RX path to your Laptop(s) which then need setting up for the encryption code.

That makes it more difficult for others to probe into your files - or hitch a free ride on your Internet connection.

Exactly what those guys said...

Unless you wanted to know if an ISP here would give you two real IPs then the answer is no... You'll have to get two separate lines, and I believe all residential services give you dynamic IP... If you wanted two static IPs then you'll have to get a commercial line.

>> I believe all residential services give you dynamic IP

Netfront gives you a static IP ($100 or 200 extra per month) if I recall correctly.

I stand corrected.

Based on Netfront's website, it's $150 per fixed IP address per month... Actually their website didn't do a very good job at explaining so I called. Basically they'll only give you a fixed IP if you get their 6mbps down / 640kbps up service, and you'll still have to pay $150/mo. for an additional login which gives you a static. What they're saying is that whatever service you get, your 1st login name will always just give you a dynamic IP, and if you get the 6Mbps (a $350/mo.) service then you qualify for additional logins but will cost you $150 each...

IMHO you might as well get a business line... I think I'm paying around $300/mo. for a 10mbps up/down line and I think it's not too much more if I wanted more (fixed) IP addresses.

Last edited by TypeIII; 19-10-2006 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate:
    You need a router with NAT.
    What we call a natty router

If there's any problem, you can always ask the IT person in your company. Our company does provide corporate Netvigator account to expats and I have to configure/reconfigure around 10 Linksys a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner:
    Not to threadjack, but the OP raised an issue that has me concerned. Do all broadband ISP's in HK require you to log-in? A few ISP's in the US used to be that way years ago, but now, everyone is "always on".
    Those ISPs are providing cable service, login is not required and they give you a static IP. Cable TV does that in HK.

Netvigator and HKBN are providing another kind of service called ADSL, login is required. The difference is due to the difference of technologies.