Help! Lacie external drive not working!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:
    Well i dont know which model you have from LaCie but it is or used to be a big issue with them that they overheat, happend at work before, happend to collegues, and it happend other firms we worked with.
    So i can guarantee you 100% that it is/was an issue.

And of course 99% isnt BT related i wasnt dead serious, i was just marking a point that BT do cause alot of these problems.
    Its the Porsche designed box Lacie drive. They run hot as hell. I always turned them off when not in use. I think that this is the issue.

Yeah, I didn't think you were serious about the 99% of BT but you do raise a good point. Must thrash a disc drive leaving a BT client on 24 / 7.

Quote Originally Posted by taihunggao:
    I had a three-month old Lacie 250Gb fail earlier this year. It was the second 250Gb drive from Designer Group IFC I've had fail in three months, the first being in a six-month-old G5. I bought the Lacie as a backup after all the headache with having my G5 go down unexpectedly like that.
    The guy in the shop listened to me ranting for a short while, but basically said tough s**t, you can send it off to repair, but you shouldn't really expect a hard drive like this to last for more than a year !!??
    Oh really? Interesting to know.
    Anyone else "back this up"?
    That sounds ridiculous. The lacie drives contain seagate and maxtor drives. I am sure they would never publically agree to that! Also, it didn't last you a year, far less in fact.

I really can't see any excuse, other than design fault, for these failing. I am sure it is an overheating issue.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Wow I should count myself as lucky because in all the 14 years that I've owned computers (and there have been many including Macs) only one IBM drive has failed and that was replaced under warranty.
    Got my first HDD, all 20Mb of it, back in 1986 and I really haven't had much in the way of failures. I bought one Western Digital a while back that formatted with bad sectors. I sent it off and got a replacement.

I have had 3 Lacies fail in under 2 years. But they are the first external drives I have owned. Perhaps they aren't that robust, although I don't tend to throw them around the place.

I have never had a laptop drive fail on me. Odd.

Not sure what model we had, i just remember it was siler with a blue button that you could press to do back ups..that btw took about 3 times longer than the other noname band external drive :P
    Im not that crazy about LaCie anyways they are overpriced and not that much (if at all) better than any other external device.

I remember the first CD-r device we got in the old office, it was LaCie..a real piece of **** it didnt even have a tray!!
    It was like a casette that you placed the CD in and then mounted onto the burner...geez...only good thing, it was scsi

Sounds like a Maxtor - with the blue button for back up and the silver case.

I have one of those. It has had no problems in 2 years.

I was going to buy a second one and the LaCie's were a bit cheaper, and a bit smaller. Those Maxtors came in a big clunky silver box with round sides.

In fact the Lacie's have always been on the cheaper side, hence I bought a few. What other external drives would people recommend? I am never buying a Lacie again.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    In fact the Lacie's have always been on the cheaper side, hence I bought a few. What other external drives would people recommend? I am never buying a Lacie again.
    I've you already have software or all you need is an external drive - i.e. to show up as an e: or f: drive, then why not just get a generic external case and put in a HDD?
    You choose the brand and size of HDD.
    I have been using Seagate recently with no problem.

The shops in HK can put one together for you.
    You could probably get a 300Gb HDD with enclosure for the price of a 200Gb LaCie

By the way, you'll probably have to format the drive yourself.
    In that case, I'd partition it into 2 or 3 partitions. You can then image from one partition to the other or to another HDD without the sizes being too unmanageable

Good idea. I will ask around next time I am in one of the computer markets. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that.

Personal preference, I don't really see a benefit in partitioning a drive into say g: h: i: (although I always partition my primary hdd into c and d).

I just create a root folder for each type of function.

Unless there is a reason for partitioning I haven't appreciated.

whoops a typo in my earlier post!

Yes, do check out the "do-it-yourself" thing.
    Some enclosures have better ventilation than others and some with metal casing may be more effective than plastic cases.
    Unfortunately, HK tends to be warmer than other countries. My laptop seems to be a lot hotter than I'm used to.

Re partitioning. As the drives get bigger the more you're likely to lose something if anything goes wrong. You can use a drive imager to back up a whole partition easier than say, a whole 300GB drive.
    Also, for organisation reasons, it may pay to put certain things into partitions rather than folders.

Ah, I see.

I usually mirror the drives. But this time with the bl**dy drives dropping like flies the mirror was dead also. But it wasn't critical data so no major worry. I have another dead lacie in the draw with most of it on. Fantastic.

See what you mean about the partitioning. I personally wouldn't do that because if you fill a partition and another is empty I would have to resort to something like 'partition magic' to resize.

I have only ever used it once to do that - and it failed. Ain't going near it again!