Bit Torrent Routers

Bit Torrent Routers

There was something about BT routers in a local Chinese mag this week. Does anyone know what these are and where I can pick one up.

It seems like a PC is not needed with these routers and the DL's can be made to a thumb drive or external USB drive.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks !
    J

I have no idea about the article, but im quiet sure you must have misunderstood the context.
    I mean how would you be able to even search for a torrent if you got no computer?

These routers have a built in HDD that contain a prog that can be accessed through a PC. You can load the torrent files and let the router do the work in the background while the pc is off.

There are a couple on the market (made in China) but I hear that some Jap anese and Korean manufacturers are also planning on making them soon. The article is in chinese and has constant references to bittorrent.com. I asked around SSP and could only fine one similar product.

JAred, I picked up an ASUS 700. The bittorrent client in there is not that good.. needs a few new features and a few problems fixed.

I do like the box though .. nice WiFi router, with lots of memory and decent processor, running linux as the operating system. The added bonus is a 250GB hard drive which we can use to backup our desktops / computers.

I'm hoping that a software issues are fixed by year end.

i used my old Xbox for this.
    Though it doesnt function as a router but since i already had one it was no prob.
    Just ran linux on it so when i didnt play i used it to dload.
    Controll it from the PC easy as pie and dirt cheap.

QNAP also makes these devices (basically NAS boxes with a bunch of extra functionality, so you only kick off the initial torrent connection with your PC then you can turn it off).

The Synology 106 products might also do this (they have some download redirector, not sure if its BT).

I don't really see a problem with leaving the PC on though, so it's not high on my list of requirements. Things like a decent management interface for the NAS box, or a non FAT32 filesystem are more useful.

>> I don't really see a problem with leaving the PC on though

I've burnt atleast one drive on my notebook. Agreed, PCs are another story.

Leave your pcs on whilst running a Dc client like [email protected] and help to find a cure for all sorts of diseases. Oh oh I've a feeling this is off-topic and is likely to get deleted!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    I've burnt atleast one drive on my notebook. Agreed, PCs are another story.
    Heat-related or standard wear and tear? I've not come across a 2.5 failure yet (fingers crossed), and only a handful of 3.5s. It's amazing how durable these complex mechanical devices are.

jgl -- heat related I suspect. Have a cooler under the notebook now ..