Router Setup / Mouse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Router Setup / Mouse

two separate queries...

a) a house has 3 separate internet accounts (i assume it's netvigator's single use + multiple user with 2 accts). even though they are all connected to the same dsl modem (with 4 ports on the back), they all have to independently connect to the internet. is there any way i can install ONE router between the modem and the computers? if so, how would the 3 independent accounts connect?

b) this one is for the gamers....Logitech G5 or Razor Copperhead?

thanks,
    bernard

hmmm, can't seem to edit thread...but i just realized that this is in the wrong forum. mod....please move it one forum down and forgive me? =)

- bernard

Just buy a router, connect it to the dsl modem and the computers to the router. You should get a router with atleast 3 lan ports. A model with wireless built-in will be useful if you decide to go that way at a later date.

but you see, there are THREE accounts (i.e. 3 separate connections) that need to be set. a single router can only authenticate one account. and if i leave the router in bridged mode and let the computers do their own authentication, i might as well not use one, as i am under the assumption that bridged mode does not provide any type of protection...

Hang on a minute, what's your reason for the router anyway?

By connect to the internet do you mean read email?

ok, so here is all the background info...

there are 3 computers in my girlfriend's house. for internet connection, they have 3 separate accounts from Netvigator - so each computer does its own dial-up thing and authenticates separately. their dsl modem has 4 ports on the back, so all the PCs are connected to the modem, even though the connections are entirely independent.

and because it isn't really secure to be directly connected to the modem, they are asking me if i can help them install a router between the modem and their PCs. but afaik, if i want to set up the router to authenticate for PPPoE, it will only do that for one account, and the 3 PCs will share that one connection. they want to keep the 3 independent connections.

so i can either

a) set the router to bridged mode and let the PCs do their own dial-up thing like before. but i read somewhere that having a router in bridged mode doesn't really provide any security at all, beacuse the connections are going straight through anyway.

b) buy 3 cheap routers, one for each PC. but that's not quite economical and there has got to be a better solution than that.

so if anyone has any suggestions, i would really appreciate it =)

- bernard

When you say they have 3 separate connections are you saying that they are assigned unique tcp/ip addresses?

The easiest way is to:
    1. Cancel 2 accounts.
    2. Buy router with 4 ports.
    3. Connect it all up.

All 3 computers share 1 connection and the bill is cheaper.

yes. they each have to authenticate independently and are assigned unique IPs. so one person online does not mean that entire house is online.

- bernard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast