US made Desktop

Closed Thread

US made Desktop

HI there
    Just settled down in Kennedy Town ; need help with the power supply issues: as my PC was brought from NYC, the voltage is 120V while HK is 230V. What should I do?

I am using a power converter now which is bulky and it has only to plugs. I used the plugs for my monitor and desktop therefore the speaker can not be connected.

Any suggestions? THanks!!

-Stephanie

Stephanie,

You should be able to take the desktop to the second floor of Wanchai computer center, where there are a number of shops that can switch the built in powersupply for you, while you wait.

If you have a Dell there should be a switch on the back which will allow you to plug into HK.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Stephanie,

You should be able to take the desktop to the second floor of Wanchai computer center, where there are a number of shops that can switch the built in powersupply for you, while you wait.
    It would seem to me it is easier to switch herself at home as all modern PC desktops have that capabillity rather than to haul that thing to Wanchai. Plus there is no such thing as a US made desktop. Some final assembly but the PC is made in Asia, sometimes Mexico. Branded US but made in Asia. Dont know why my post went poof but reposting as information given above is not the best solution IMO.

Yes there is a switch in the back!! it worked!

Thanks you all! Yes I found the switch under the power supply plug and it worked!!

I really appreciate your help here. This website is great!

Also, Just wondering if there are people getting together regularly here in HK.. I was transfered from NYC a month ago and don't know anyone here.

-Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianCentury:
    It would seem to me it is easier to switch herself at home as all modern PC desktops have that capabillity rather than to haul that thing to Wanchai. Plus there is no such thing as a US made desktop. Some final assembly but the PC is made in Asia, sometimes Mexico. Branded US but made in Asia. Dont know why my post went poof but reposting as information given above is not the best solution IMO.
    Nothing wrong with KIA's advice. The OP said her computer was 120v and it is a fool who questions a new member's facts without any background. Had she said that she had no idea whether her computer would work here then people like you could quite easily have waded in with your advice.
    And let's not get pedantic with all this built in China carp. People build to design. The assembly line has no say in which switch goes where - shhissh!
    Last edited by discobay; 30-10-2006 at 04:12 PM.