US desktop brought to HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thumbs down "Coals to Newcastle"

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    Check the back of the power supply. A lot of them have switches that allow you to switch between 110 and 220V. If you don't have a switchable power supply, I suggest you take your existing one out and replace it with a new one that does support 220V. If you can't do this yourself, any place out here that makes custom PCs will be happy to do it for you.

DO NOT PLUG IT IN if you cannot switch it to 220V, and forget using a voltage converter. They suck.
    <Tongue in Cheek Mode ON>

Seems to me that Jay (possibly) isn't aware that Jap stuff meant for the Jap market is only 100/110 Volt.

Likewise, the Yanks are so insular and "stay at home" that they can be foisted with 110 Volt equipment with no "220 Volt" switch provided. I bet that they had catastophic failures when they plugged their military stuff into the Iraqi mains supplies!

<Tongue in Cheek Mode OFF>

However - I *do* agree with Jay that some computer component shops will sell you a replacement Desktop power supply that **WILL** work anywhere in the world that has mains.

They will probably make a small charge for doing the fitting - that's reasonable enough.

Personally I can never understand this "Coals to Newcastle" attitude of people shipping electronics stuff here when there's a much better supply here at cheaper prices - much better to liquidate the items "back home" where one has half a chance to recover at least part of the various taxes imposed when bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sino Defender
    true, but there's only a few months lag at most. i would go for the convenience and save the hassles.
    I just noticed my laptop has one USB port. That won't do either. Plus my desktop is only a year or so old and isn't obsolete (yet) and I want to feel as if I got my money out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oman Mercenary
    Likewise, the Yanks are so insular and "stay at home" that they can be foisted with 110 Volt equipment with no "220 Volt" switch provided. I bet that they had catastophic failures when they plugged their military stuff into the Iraqi mains supplies!

Personally I can never understand this "Coals to Newcastle" attitude of people shipping electronics stuff here when there's a much better supply here at cheaper prices - much better to liquidate the items "back home" where one has half a chance to recover at least part of the various taxes imposed when bought.
    Insular Yanks--sort of like when NASA received something from an outside supplier with the specs in metric and assumed it was an American measurement and crashed the probe into Mars?

Coals to Newcastle--My shipping is free and my computer paid for. If I thought I could get away with it I would ship (for free) all my US appliances and hook them into convertors/transformers/adapters/whatever. But, as you can tell from my previous technical comment, my knowledge of electricity means I would either melt the appliances or burn down the apartment or both.

It is most definitely not a case of "Coals to Newcastle", as selection and prices for most electronic items are better in the US than in HKG. HKG (as well as Singapore and Tokyo) ceased being a "paradise for electronics shopping" a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    It is most definitely not a case of "Coals to Newcastle", as selection and prices for most electronic items are better in the US than in HKG. HKG (as well as Singapore and Tokyo) ceased being a "paradise for electronics shopping" a long time ago.
    Hell no, what I don't understand is people from the u.s go to hk to live/work and end up buying a dell!

In HK you have a much wider range than the u.s, go to wanchai computer centre for example and theres a massive range to choose from. LG/Fujitsu/Sony/Asus/Acer/Samsung/Toshiba etc etc all good spec very good laptops and people end up buying a boring bland dell?

THanks I found the switch

Dear All, THanks for your help! Yes the swtich works! so I was able to turn the power supply from US 120 V to HK 220V.

-Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Hell no, what I don't understand is people from the u.s go to hk to live/work and end up buying a dell!

In HK you have a much wider range than the u.s, go to wanchai computer centre for example and theres a massive range to choose from. LG/Fujitsu/Sony/Asus/Acer/Samsung/Toshiba etc etc all good spec very good laptops and people end up buying a boring bland dell?
    Anybody who has been around Hong Kong for a while can confirm that WCC is not the best place to go - selection only so-so and prices higher than Mongkok CC or Sham Shui Po. In fact, the range available at many of the places even in MCC and SSP is limited (e.g., only a few configurations for any given model Thinkpad).

"LG/Fujitsu/Sony/Asus/Acer/Samsung/Toshiba" are all available in the US at better prices...

Quote Originally Posted by Oman Mercenary
    Do you even know what you are talking about?

I guess you don't get around much, because "stuff" is not cheaper here nor is the selection better versus the U.S. Perhaps, HK is cheaper than the UK or Australia but this is not what the OP is proposing. And, HK is not the electronics shopping mecca that Tokyo is in terms of selection.

>> "LG/Fujitsu/Sony/Asus/Acer/Samsung/Toshiba"

Not sure about all of them, but the deals on Toshibas are much better in the US, given the monopolistics single distributor situation here in HK.

I'd rather buy from an online store in the US (toshiba online for example) and have it shipped or brought across by a friend.