US desktop brought to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US desktop brought to HK

Hi All,

Anyone knows how to safely turn on my dell desktop brought from the US? US is 120 V while HK has 240 V - I already burned out one extension cord .

Is the desktop power supply ( DELL Dimension 8400) adjustable for 120V?

Many THanks!

by the way, I just settled down in 33 Mount Davis which is a new building in Kennedy Town. Nice view in every single room and the rent is comparable to Manhattan Heights. Just for your information..

-Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by cocobernes
    Hi All,

Anyone knows how to safely turn on my dell desktop brought from the US? US is 120 V while HK has 240 V - I already burned out one extension cord .

Is the desktop power supply ( DELL Dimension 8400) adjustable for 120V?

Many THanks!

by the way, I just settled down in 33 Mount Davis which is a new building in Kennedy Town. Nice view in every single room and the rent is comparable to Manhattan Heights. Just for your information..

-Stephanie
    just use a vottage converter. they are avialable in almost every electronics store. tell them your situation, and they will give you what you need.
    however, it's my understanding that most computers' power cords are universal. it should say on it tho.

Check the back of the power supply. A lot of them have switches that allow you to switch between 110 and 220V. If you don't have a switchable power supply, I suggest you take your existing one out and replace it with a new one that does support 220V. If you can't do this yourself, any place out here that makes custom PCs will be happy to do it for you.

DO NOT PLUG IT IN if you cannot switch it to 220V, and forget using a voltage converter. They suck.

You can also take it to the second floor of the Wanchai computer center. They will gladly refit your computer with a new powersupply -- about $200-400 max.

Unless your computer is really old it should have that voltage switch Jayinhongkong was talking about. I doubt your monitor and printer will, though.

I had the worst experience bringing my desktop from LA to HK.
    The security was horrible. they almost wanted to break it open to see whether i got drugs inside or sth.

I suggest u bring the hard drive, memory, anything bringing the whole thing. save u much more hassle. Plus hk is a place of technology. its cheap to assemble a PC.

Well, we'll see about the security. We are going to bring our desktop because by the time we go back home it will be obsolete. Hoping that it will last as long as we are here and then get a new one when we return to USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    Well, we'll see about the security. We are going to bring our desktop because by the time we go back home it will be obsolete. Hoping that it will last as long as we are here and then get a new one when we return to USA.
    just out of my curiosity- why not use a laptop instead?

I guess because I associate "laptop" with "work". And I don't think that laptops are as powerful as a desktop. Or, maybe I should say that a top of the line laptop isn't as powerful as a top of the line desk top.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    I guess because I associate "laptop" with "work". And I don't think that laptops are as powerful as a desktop. Or, maybe I should say that a top of the line laptop isn't as powerful as a top of the line desk top.
    true, but there's only a few months lag at most. i would go for the convenience and save the hassles.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast