Notebook Suggestions

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Brand isnt all.
    I think i posted somethinsimillar before in a thread.

Look at the keyboard layout, if you are comforatble with where they del, Ctrl, Alt, Win, Home, Insert and such keys are located.

Can you turn off the touchpad pointer easily or does it have to be disabled from BIOS, so it doesnt interfere when using an external mouse or when typing large amounts of texts.

Where are the expansion ports, DVD rom, USB connections and so on located.
    Will they be in the way when using ie. a external mouse.

Does the USB allow for "bulky" USB connectors to be blaced next to / top side of each other?

Things like these tend to be good to keep in mind.
    Just my recommendeation.
    Good luck on your purchase.

/J

Ps.
    I got this HP nx7000 with a glitching G-card, no hard drive and the chager is wasted..and it could do with a paintjob, I know sounds like the machine of your dreams.....and your thinking that its out of your price range yes?
    Well think again, this piece of sh.."cough cough"... computer super evolution can be yours for a mere 10k, add 500 to that and i will throw in the USB hub that works when it feels like it (RRP 12hkd) , so break your piggy bank and bring the loot to the NT for a trade im sure you will never forgett
    Ds.

Thanks JohanSWE but I'm looking new.

Disco: I think you missed the sarcasm in his offer

Too early for me

Quote Originally Posted by Oman Mercenary:

Yes, the Keyboards are nice - However - the enscribed letters on the keys are crap! Given a few years of hard work & one can no longer read what was originally embossed on to the keys.

I had a whole lot of keys replaced earlier this year on an "R" series IBM. Keys without the letters on them are no use to this two finger typist !!
    I suspect you might just be unlucky- I've only had half of the N key rub off after 2.5 years of daily use (2 years of fulltime student usage, and it's still my only home machine). We used Thinkpads at my old company (I was in IT so saw a lot of them) and we didn't have problems with letters.

Maybe the R series run different keyboards. I've only used T and X series extensively.

Just found some Fujitsu notebooks in WCC and they seem to be well spec'd. Also saw some HP notebooks and they seem to be better value than the Fujitsus. Any comments on the current HP notebook models (specifically the dv6101TX) or their reliability?

for value wise, obviously hp or dell wld look fantastic..
    so next is the reputation.
    frankly, i've never used a hp before so no idea. comments heard are not fantastic but not as discouraging as dell

Thumbs down Some crappy "painted" keyboards out there !

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I suspect you might just be unlucky- I've only had half of the N key rub off after 2.5 years of daily use (2 years of fulltime student usage, and it's still my only home machine). We used Thinkpads at my old company (I was in IT so saw a lot of them) and we didn't have problems with letters.

Maybe the R series run different keyboards. I've only used T and X series extensively.
    Well, I advised one member on the AX "Darth Vader" board to front up to her service station in Manila before the warrantee ran out on her IBM - and get them to change the keyboard for disappearing characters on the keys.

My brother had to do that with his 2 year old T42 in Hong Kong.

The "wipe-out" of the legends on the keys only happens with the crappy "painted on" keyboards. Boot 'em out !

Never had such problems with the ancient [pirated] Apple ][+ keyboards - or even my modern-day MicroSquelch Wireless keyboard - haven't even changed the batteries in over a year too ! :wave

Ah, my keyboard has the letters stuck on, rather than painted.

I've got a bit of a keyboard fetish, actually. My work keyboard is a Northgate Omnikey of uncertain vintage (probably 80s though), and my home keyboard is a 1986 IBM Model M

Keys are perfect on both of them.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4