Laptop advice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Laptop advice

I want to buy a new laptop and really can't decide which one....
    I want lightweight as i will use it when travelling. it will be used mostly for e mail but i will also use it to update a website, as a photo album and to watch DVD's.
    The Sony Vaio TX looks great but is it worth the extra money ? The other ones i have looked at are Samsung Q35 and a guy in fortress just showed me Asus ( who i'd never heard of) W5F. Does anybody ahve a Asus ? and what do you think ?? anybody done any recent research they would like to share ?? I am not very computer minded so any help would be appreciated !!

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread15197.html

That thread is likely to give you a wide range of suggestions.. and confuse the hell out of a non-techy.

I'd stay away from anything other than Toshiba, IBM/Lennovo and Sony.

thought asus is quite good. compact and the company is the OEM of either benq or HPQ (i can't remember)

look at the other thread there's one on notebook. if u want to do photographs (big screen) and lightweight (small screen) u'd need to reconcile somewhere and make the decision.

my recommendation is to set a weight limit for the notebook you want and just buy the one that gives u best deal below that weight.
    pick up any notebook, check the weight, and the one that u are comfortable with, drop 20~30% off that quoted weight as your limit (do this because carrying laptop for long duration is quite a chore and u'd ratehr have a much lighter one than something that just match your weight criteria)

Thanks KIA. I was typing laptop into the search not notebook so all the info i got was really old. Am off to Wanchai computer centre to have a look......

I'll go with Toshiba and HP Dv's (both acceptable prices)

Sony is quite good but very very very annoying keyboard..

What's wrong with their keyboards?

Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    What's wrong with their keyboards?
    too slim.. almost can't feel the botton being pushed

Quote Originally Posted by shiver
    too slim.. almost can't feel the botton being pushed
    Looks like you're typing on a Sony keyboard now

Nothing wrong with Asus they're getting very good reviews in Stuff and T3 magazine here in the U.K.

And the W5F is a good laptop in fact I might buy one myself when I'm back in HK.

I just got back from HCC and looked at the W5F but they only have it in white. Think I am gonna go for a Sony - i just can't decide which one.. the super lightweight one TX37GP is $16980. so i might have to go for the 1.85kg SZ32GP as it is $5000 less..... not sure it is worth paying the difference for .5 kg less in weight...... The guys in WCC were really helpful and not at all pushy.
    How is the UK treating you Jimbo ?? I am over there next week. How is the weather ??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast